New panther cham owner

tortle0o0

Hello! I've been doing my fair bit of research but would still appreciate any feedback you can give. No pics of him just yet as I've tried to limit my interactions with him, at least until he gets settled. I'll try to take at least one tomorrow.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - believed to be amilobe but unsure, panther, male, 4 months old, in my care for just three days, named Kronk.
  • Handling - Not at all currently, plan on once a week or so after he has had a couple weeks to settle.
  • Feeding - Feeding 10-15 crickets a day, as well as 1-3 small silk worms a day (when I have them, there's a shortage right now and I've recently started breeding them), and a meal worm once a week or so (currently feeding off a couple a day that have pupated to the softer bodied stage). No hornworms yet but plan to in the future. Gut loading crickets on fresh veggies every other day or so.
  • Supplements - Zoomed Reptivite multivitamin twice a month, zoomed repti calcium with D3 twice a month, and zoomed repti calcium without D3 every day.

• Watering - Monsoon multi twice daily for 20 seconds and big dripper throughout the day. He has actually grabbed the tube from the dripper and put it in his mouth as well as licking off leaves and flicking his tongue out at the falling drops (it's adorable to watch.)
  • Fecal Description - Brown/green feces with white urates. Never tested as far as I know.
  • History - Comes from a local reptile shop and chameleon breeder. Nothing else comes to mind but he is still very new to me.
  • Cage Info:

• CageType - Screen 2x2x4 reptibreeze with clear shower curtain around three sides and the bottom to catch excess water.

• Lighting - Reptisun 5% UVB and 60 watt heat bulb. 12 hour day-night cycle, 8am to 8pm on a timer.

• Temperature - 82° basking spot, 75° lowest. Overnight around 65°. Analog for now, plan to upgrade to digital soon.

• Humidity- 50% almost constantly, analog measurement. Misting system and shower curtains have been enough so far. My set up was ready to go about a month early so I know those measurements are staying constant.

• Plants - Mix of live and fake. Golden pothos lowest level, spider plant mid level, and nasturtium at highest level (struggling with keeping this one happy, but he seems to love it, slept there the first night.)

• Placement - Desk in my bedroom, not directly near any vents or fans but may get a slight breeze at night from my A/C. Tallest is probably 7.5/8 ft. from floor.

• Location- Where are you geographically located? Corvallis, Oregon, USA (an hour southwest of Salem)

• Current Problem - Just general tips/upkeep I might not be aware of.

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_154519037.jpg
    IMG_20200915_154519037.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 132
Hi and welcome!

So off the bat, I’m going to suggest that you get a digital thermometer/hydrometer with probes. There are many different choices.

Here’s a couple I like:

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/8430-zilla-digital-thermometer--hygrometer-with-probe

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34330-zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge

Those analog gauges fail often and will always read the same thing but the numbers will be way off.

Secondly- get rid of the red light and get a white light.

Third- regarding the nasturtium plant. I’d bet money it’s because it’s near the light. They do well in full sun but if the roots get too hot they don’t do so well.

Chase

Is that a rope hammock in the back?
If so I would suggest taking it out as I’ve seen chams that have gotten their claws stuck between the rope and they've been ripped out.
It's a hammock that I crocheted for him to fit nicely in his basking area. It's made of a very soft yarn instead of rope. Do you think it will be an issue?

It's a hammock that I crocheted for him to fit nicely in his basking area. It's made of a very soft yarn instead of rope. Do you think it will be an issue?
I’m not too sure but if it is soft it may be fine aslong as you think he would be able to get his claws in and out without them getting stuck

Hi and welcome!

So off the bat, I’m going to suggest that you get a digital thermometer/hydrometer with probes. There are many different choices.

Here’s a couple I like:

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/8430-zilla-digital-thermometer--hygrometer-with-probe

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34330-zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge

Those analog gauges fail often and will always read the same thing but the numbers will be way off.

Secondly- get rid of the red light and get a white light.

Third- regarding the nasturtium plant. I’d bet money it’s because it’s near the light. They do well in full sun but if the roots get too hot they don’t do so well.

Chase
I definitely plan on upgrading my thermometer/humidity gauge soon, thanks for the links.

Is there a reason the red light is bad? What is the difference if they both put out the same heat?

That's good to know about the nasturtium getting too hot. I've seen so many people say that they are easy to care for but I was worried mine was an exception haha.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Tori

Hello! I've been doing my fair bit of research but would still appreciate any feedback you can give. No pics of him just yet as I've tried to limit my interactions with him, at least until he gets settled. I'll try to take at least one tomorrow.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - believed to be amilobe but unsure, panther, male, 4 months old, in my care for just three days, named Kronk.
  • Handling - Not at all currently, plan on once a week or so after he has had a couple weeks to settle.
  • Feeding - Feeding 10-15 crickets a day, as well as 1-3 small silk worms a day (when I have them, there's a shortage right now and I've recently started breeding them), and a meal worm once a week or so (currently feeding off a couple a day that have pupated to the softer bodied stage). No hornworms yet but plan to in the future. Gut loading crickets on fresh veggies every other day or so.
  • Supplements - Zoomed Reptivite multivitamin twice a month, zoomed repti calcium with D3 twice a month, and zoomed repti calcium without D3 every day.

• Watering - Monsoon multi twice daily for 20 seconds and big dripper throughout the day. He has actually grabbed the tube from the dripper and put it in his mouth as well as licking off leaves and flicking his tongue out at the falling drops (it's adorable to watch.)
  • Fecal Description - Brown/green feces with white urates. Never tested as far as I know.
  • History - Comes from a local reptile shop and chameleon breeder. Nothing else comes to mind but he is still very new to me.
  • Cage Info:

• CageType - Screen 2x2x4 reptibreeze with clear shower curtain around three sides and the bottom to catch excess water.

• Lighting - Reptisun 5% UVB and 60 watt heat bulb. 12 hour day-night cycle, 8am to 8pm on a timer.

• Temperature - 82° basking spot, 75° lowest. Overnight around 65°. Analog for now, plan to upgrade to digital soon.

• Humidity- 50% almost constantly, analog measurement. Misting system and shower curtains have been enough so far. My set up was ready to go about a month early so I know those measurements are staying constant.

• Plants - Mix of live and fake. Golden pothos lowest level, spider plant mid level, and nasturtium at highest level (struggling with keeping this one happy, but he seems to love it, slept there the first night.)

• Placement - Desk in my bedroom, not directly near any vents or fans but may get a slight breeze at night from my A/C. Tallest is probably 7.5/8 ft. from floor.

• Location- Where are you geographically located? Corvallis, Oregon, USA (an hour southwest of Salem)

• Current Problem - Just general tips/upkeep I might not be aware of.
Finally got a pic of him!

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_092234588.jpg
    IMG_20200918_092234588.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom