Jimbo'z Diary - Ambanja Panther Cham

SageZA

Hi Guys :D

I am a proud new owner of a (Fucifer pardalis) ambanja Panther Chameleon in South Africa.

I must admit that this type of chameleon is super stunning with so much detail at such a small age. :D

He is a month old and we are 95% sure it is a male.

Housing: Tupperware container, fake leaves.
Lighting: EXO Terra Repti glo 5 compact 25 watt
Feed: Pin Heads (Gut loaded with Tetra Pro fish flakes)
Water: I spray some water on the side of the container and the leaves he seems to lick it off.
Breeder: Chameleon Company SA :D

I am trying to monitor his eating and drinking as much as possible.

Also guys is it normal for him to sleep during the day? i was thinking its fine as he is still a baby. :)

And please excuse the bad camera going to try hook up a 10mp this month.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG_0065.jpg
    IMAG_0065.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG_0064.jpg
    IMAG_0064.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAG_0085.jpg
    IMAG_0085.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG_0074.jpg
    IMAG_0074.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMAG_0054.jpg
    IMAG_0054.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 352
He looks good from the pictures.

How long is he?
Also Im not too sure about the sleeping in the day being 100% normal...
How often does he do that and for how long?

Phew!!!!! Its uber hot today! Just picked up another Batch of pin heads, as the one's i got on Saturday got toasted :/

I am pretty sure its normal for a 4 - 5 week old Cham to get some extra shut eye during the day.

I will be using a loan camera this afternoon :D :D To get some superfine pics.

Paul you Beast! Thanks for the pin heads.

I don't think they should sleep during the day, I would suggest to change your compact uv light for a linear one, bec. is a fact that compact uv can cause blindness with chameleons.

You chameleon should NEVER be sleeping during the day. Most likely it is your lighting. A month old cham is very fragile and the wrong lighting can make your chameleon very ill or worse, die. It is true about the compact bulbs causing eye issues. Not all compacts but some. Also, gutload your crickets with fresh fruits and vegetables. Fish flake is not the best. You could throw a little in here or there but vegetable and fruits are the best. Here is some good info for you on raising a young baby from one of our members JannB https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hey Sage

I see your diary is up already.

Like we spoke today, Sage is using a linear UVB shared with the cage of his veiled, so any issues will be controlled.

You said he ate a lot today over the phone? Nice, at that age they eat like all hell!

When you come around the 18th for final business, bring him around and ill take a look to see how he is doing:D

Next batch your female is waiting:)

although, your bulb is placed up high, what are your temps in that container?

Around 25 to 26 mid day around 27 degrees Celsius.

This morning again he woke up walked around had a few crix and then i caught him with his one eyes closed again.

@Paul i am using a exo terra repti glo 5 compact 26watt attached to a clamp lamp holder. I cannot see how it will not affect my Vieled and now affect jimbo. I will monitor it, i might just go out and get a exo terra 14watt linear.

I don't think they should sleep during the day, I would suggest to change your compact uv light for a linear one, bec. is a fact that compact uv can cause blindness with chameleons.

Do you have any scientific article or research paper to support this claim? Would be interesting to read

Sage

Once the clouds have cleared put the panther in the sun:)

You going to bring the cham to my house around the 18th?

Around 25 to 26 mid day around 27 degrees Celsius.

This morning again he woke up walked around had a few crix and then i caught him with his one eyes closed again.

@Paul i am using a exo terra repti glo 5 compact 26watt attached to a clamp lamp holder. I cannot see how it will not affect my Vieled and now affect jimbo. I will monitor it, i might just go out and get a exo terra 14watt linear.

I don't know celsius, just farenheit! How old is your veild compared to this cham?. You are dealing with a baby(a very tiny baby) here and that is a whole different story

Will do :D its uber chillie today.

Yup ill bring him around on the 18th :D

I thought the weather was perfect lately. Mine have been out the whole day for every day.

I think these panthers are really going to fail with future generations if anymore inbreeding is done.
Luckily new bloodlines are being brought in next year.

Hi Guys

It has been a good few days for Jimbo he is doing really well. He is eating quite a bit and seem him drink from his dripper and off the side of the container. :D

I have uploaded a few pics to show you his progress his is growing everyday.

@paul check out pic Photo-0120 :D Also Paul how many weeks is he now? Thanks

Included a pic of rocco for fun :)

Attachments

• Photo-0157.jpg
    Photo-0157.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Photo-0142.jpg
    Photo-0142.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0853.jpg
    DSCN0853.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo-0106.jpg
    Photo-0106.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Photo-0120.jpg
    Photo-0120.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 169
There is quite a lot to read here, but you will find the info you asked for and more.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

I am a new comer but i feel that we seem to keep beating a dead horse here with the compacts, this incident happened with a batch of compacts in 2005 guys!!! its 2011 surely they fixed it ;) and besides i see nothing wrong with my veiled chameleon and had him on the compacts for a few months now to realize that its safe.

Sage he is looking good:) you doing a good job with him!

How those pin heads? must be done already!

See your veiled is nice too hey, big straight casque:)

Back
Top Bottom