Jackson's Chameleon Eating White Stuff In The Dirt

h22turbo

Hello everyone!

I have a 6-8 month old Jackson's Chameleon and I've noticed he loves to eat the little white stuff that is in dirt!

He will literally climb over one of the pots I have live plants in.... and shoot his tongue out and eat the stuff!

Here is a pic so you can see what I'm talking about, but im sure everyone has seen the white round stuff that is mixed in with potting soil...

Is this normal? Will it hurt him?

The soil im using is called Black Gold All Purpose Potting Soil. I didnt notice this when I bought it, but it does say "Enriched with controlled release fertilizer"

Thanks in advance!

Yah I would say that is fertilizer don't let him eat that. Put river stones over the top that are big enough that he can't eat them. You might want to replant your plants in a organic soil.

It's perlite. It's an expanded mineral (a type of rock) used to hold moisture in the soil. Do not let him eat it.

Cover the soil with anything you have at hand for now and tomorrow get large rocks to cover the pot.

I had a box of zoo med terrarium moss laying around & I covered it with that last night.

I was 99 percent sure he ate that white stuff before, but thought it might have been a stray dubia or cricket that was in the dirt! I caught him red handed yesterday though!

I line the top of my pots with window screen and then top them with river rocks that are too big to swallow. Screen keeps the bugs from burrowing.

Now that I covered my plants with moss, my jacksons chameleon is eating the moss!

he always has food. I offer him food everyday. he also gets plenty of water and humidity. his cage/plants gets soaked down for 5 mins every hour with my mist system. the plants in his cage stay wet at all times.

he eats crickets, dubia, and supers...

here is a video of him eating the moss!

Some chams will do that. Time to cover the soil with something he can't eat. Get smooth riverstones. Most hardware stores carry them next to the orchid moss and indoor potted plants for a reasonable cost.

Now that I covered my plants with moss, my jacksons chameleon is eating the moss!

he always has food. I offer him food everyday. he also gets plenty of water and humidity. his cage/plants gets soaked down for 5 mins every hour with my mist system. the plants in his cage stay wet at all times.

he eats crickets, dubia, and supers...

here is a video of him eating the moss!

Wow I think he is just trying to push your buttons lol

Moss can cause a dangerous impaction.
Do as suggested and cover the soil with something he cannot eat. Perlite is not toxic, but could cause intestinal blockages as well. In my opinion many people struggle with their plants dying, because the don't have an soil mix lightened with enough perlite. Organic soil can still have ingestible items like charcoal, vermiculite, and perlite, since these are mined substances found in nature and actually needed for a healthy plants. Just cover would soil with screen and stones, don't report your plant.

Make sure that what you cover the soil with, that it's too big to be swallowed. If you get stones, get the larger ones that won't fit in his mouth. I've seen some posts where small pebbles were used, and the chameleon ate them.

Back
Top Bottom