is this true

cham702

i was reading this chameleon book and it was like the more u hold your chamleon shorty the life span is that true or that sh** just false get back me thxs :eek:

to some extent it is. It just depends on the chameleons personality and tolerance of being held. Generally, holding causes stress. Stress weakens the immune system among other things... Stress kills. Soooooo, There you have it.

totaly dependable. of course handling can stress out your chameleon. a lot of chams are not tolerant to stress either, and stress could potentionaly be life demanding on their life. even laying clutches in a female is life tolling stress. although, some lucky keepers are blessed with very friendly chams, therefore stress isnt an issue in this area.

of course, just because it may be friendly with you and doesnt stress when being handled, stress could come by a crowd of 2 or more people. stress can be caused by loud noise (note that chameleons are somewhat deff if you want to call it that, but do feel and hear Db vibrations). stress could also be caused obviously by the sight of another chameleon (most effective with male on male) and (non receptive female with male). and another factor causing stress to a chameleon is improper husbandry set ups.

most chameleons are solitary animals and need the coverage when the feel there is harm.

just my personal opinion on what you stated as well as other forms of stress. there are more by far, but to me, are the most common.

Did nobody get introduced to herbal stress relievers back in college? Ahhh the sweet sweet, what? I forgot what I was typing about

For the most part, handling is not beneficial for your chameleon and yes IMHO may indeed shorten its lifespan. Especially if you remove the animal from its territory, invading its territory and grabbing at it (rather than letting it come out on its own).

A chameleon may tolerate handling, but this doesnt mean it isnt effected by it negatively. A chameleon may show no outward signs of stress that the holder notices, and still be stressed. Its not really easy to know for sure what effect you are having by handling the animal.

Some feel their chameleon "likes" to be held, but I believe many of those people are mis interpretting. Chameleons do not Like people; they just dont have the same emotions and social needs as people. They are natural "loaners". So why not just let them be what they are meant to be.

For the most part, handling is not beneficial for your chameleon and yes IMHO may indeed shorten its lifespan. Especially if you remove the animal from its territory, invading its territory and grabbing at it (rather than letting it come out on its own).

A chameleon may tolerate handling, but this doesnt mean it isnt effected by it negatively. A chameleon may show no outward signs of stress that the holder notices, and still be stressed. Its not really easy to know for sure what effect you are having by handling the animal.

Some feel their chameleon "likes" to be held, but I believe many of those people are mis interpretting. Chameleons do not Like people; they just dont have the same emotions and social needs as people. They are natural "loaners". So why not just let them be what they are meant to be.

i agree with this sandra, but to add, i also believe that being a "friendly" chameleon, waiting at its cage door wanting to play is a lucky pick for the keeper. i also agree, that "tricking" a 'friendly" chameleon by luring it out with food will show signs of stress, maybe not by colour or patterning, but by the jester of rapidly moving around, climbing(trying to grab at objects), etc. no signs of stress without stress colour or patterning would be a content cham that rather just sits on your hand, slow moving, observing its surroundings rather than you. and imho, you cannot say "observing its surroundings" is stressfull, rather this is what the animal does an amazingly great amount of its time.

i hope i said that all right, jmo

A cham that isn't stressing also will show this through it's eyes. My chams that tolerate me well don't diolate their eyes. they simply look around with the iris of their eye open and adjusting to the light conditions. My female panther is a cham that isn't trusting of many things.... and the only time she is 'content' with me is if I have food............ she'll give a good long look at me with the iris of her eye somewhat squinted, then will look at the food and adjust her eye... snatch some prey and then look at me again, squinting.

My melleri are VERY easy to ready by looking at the iris of their eyes.

I showed the photo below, to Kristina Francis (creator of the Melleri Discovery site) and she commented on Henry's eyes. We discussed how melleri who trust you don't squint. Most of the time Henry's eyes appear in this way unless he feels I am a threat (coming too close or moving too fast). I have also observed (at Kristina's mention) how Henry will pinch one of his front feet if he is feeling 'invaded'. In the morning when he basks he will be a calm green.... get too close and he'll lift a foot off the vine, pinching his paws, squinting slightly and developing mild dark spots along his body.

Here, Henry is very relaxed and trusting, even with a camera in his face. :eek:

Kevin_50D_0114RC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom