Important question!!

MollyT

Is it safe to put MiracleGro in my chameleon's plant? It has been near death and we are trying to save it. This would be our last effort. The soil we use is the organic miraclegro soil. We were wanting to put some miraclegro in it to try to perk it up a bit. Will this harm Kush? We have the big rocks covering the soil.

I was thinking it was probably a bad idea. I just wanted to ask the good people here so I could be sure. Thanks!

I was thinking it was probably a bad idea. I just wanted to ask the good people here so I could be sure. Thanks!

If you are using a liquid I don't see how it could hurt your cham. You could dilute it with water and pour the mix into the subsurface of the potting soil (just dig down below the surface before pouring).

Is it safe to put MiracleGro in my chameleon's plant? It has been near death and we are trying to save it. This would be our last effort. The soil we use is the organic miraclegro soil. We were wanting to put some miraclegro in it to try to perk it up a bit. Will this harm Kush? We have the big rocks covering the soil.

How old is the soil? If it isn't more than a year old chances are the plant is dying from something other than lack of food. Potting mixes usually don't need to be changed more than once a growing season (once a year...but it probably depends on the plant and how fast it's growing). If the plant is dying even though it has that miracle grow soil now, more food may not help and may hurt. You can overfeed a plant sort of in the same way you can oversupplement a cham.

I bought the plants right before I got my first chameleon, so early to mid September, making them 5 months. It is an umbrella plant, and the main stalks still look good, but a few of the branches have withered and died. My husband thinks it's because he trimmed it too low. He leeched(sp?) the soil, to get rid of any built up toxins, and that seemed to really help. A few of the drooping branches stood up straight after that. We haven't given up the fight yet. We are hoping the miraclegro helps.

I would bet it's root rot and or not enough light. Schefflera are tough plants but root rot kills them just fine. I would re-pot it in a very fast draining soil mix being mostly sand. I have ones overtaking my back yard that were on death's door because of root rot that were just set out back in their pots and ignored. I now use sand and or expanded clay pellets for anything that gets heavily watered. Works like a charm. You can pick it up at most nursery's fairly cheap but here's an amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-GMHT10L-Hydroponic-Rocks-Liter/dp/B000FCPDFA

I have an umbrella plant that's having trouble and I'm going to try putting a plant light in for better lighting. :)

Back
Top Bottom