Iguanarium cage or DIY caged???

Minpin1985

I am looking into getting a larger cage for my chameleon once he gets to be an adult and I was wondering what you guys think of a LLL cage or an Iguanarium? Some pros for the Iguanarium are that I won't have to worry about nose rub or his nails getting pulled by the screen but the cons are low humidity so I would have to do more misting or perhaps get a fogger. The LLL cage is cheaper but it would hold in humidity better but the cons are smaller mesh screen so perhaps nail and nose rub problems. Any insight you guys could give me is welcome. Thanks

Both are good options. However, I have a soft spot for providing larger spaces, and chameleons will be able to hold onto the bars better probably, so the iguanarium might be a better option if you can afford it.

With lots of real plants (which will be easier to hang in the iguanarium) and some regular misting the humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue. If it is, you can always put something like plastic or a shower curtain around the back 3 sides and it will keep the humidity up higher but still provide enough ventilation.

Up to you, but I guess I vote for iguanarium :D One thing I don't know though is how good it is when it comes to drainage. But if you can see a solution to that then seems like a good idea to me.

I have decided to go with a larger Glass Protean Terrarium , I can keep Ozzies humidity and temperature better up in a glass habitat. I am also getting them to drill me a hole for a Mistking :)

I have decided to go with a larger Glass Protean Terrarium , I can keep Ozzies humidity and temperature better up in a glass habitat. I am also getting them to drill me a hole for a Mistking :)
But how will you provide air flow for your chameleons? and mist them down daily? What about them seeing their reflection?

Glass terrariums are not the horrible enclosures they've been made out to be. The glass reflection thing is pretty much a myth as far as I've ever seen, if it happens I haven't heard of it once. And the terrariums have much more ventilation than an aquarium, so they work really well for people in cold or really dry locations. It would be unnecessary for me in Florida, but for someone up north that struggles with humidity and temps, they're not a bad option.

I couldn't have said it better :) Also the glass habitats these days are pretty much better made and the top is screen and there are vent holes in the front of the habitat and in the back of it and where the doors open there is also ventilation there. I love my glass habitat and there is no way my Cham can get injured in an all glass habitat and I use the green carpet for the bottom and cut it to fit and rinse it off in hot water and dry it outside in the sun when I clean his habitat. I have several pieces cut to fit so while one piece is drying I have another that is already dry and ready. The carpet looks alot nicer and works for my situation.
Glass terrariums are not the horrible enclosures they've been made out to be. The glass reflection thing is pretty much a myth as far as I've ever seen, if it happens I haven't heard of it once. And the terrariums have much more ventilation than an aquarium, so they work really well for people in cold or really dry locations. It would be unnecessary for me in Florida, but for someone up north that struggles with humidity and temps, they're not a bad option.

Glass Cage Information???

Ok, so according to you guys the glass is a great way to go. You aren't the first person to tell me that the reflection scare is a myth, and if I put plenty of plants and stuff in there it would be a great place for a chameleon. I may have to put a fan on top though to keep air flowing but that might be the way to go! That would take care of the nails getting caught and the nose rub problems. Is there any places to buy that you would reccomend?

There are small suction cups available at Petco that slide onto the fake vine and then suction them to the side of the glass :) I have about 4 vines in my habitat and plan to get more and I will have all live plants.
One more question about glass cages - how do you put in sticks and vines?

I wouldn't recommend glass - definitely stick with mesh. You don’t want to take the chance that he/she isn’t getting enough air. They need a lot of ventilation and the mesh also is good for climbing. They’re so sensitive to the environment that glass just makes it difficult. If you read any book or article that states how to take care of Chameleons they all state to have a lot of ventilation and make sure you have the right temperature.

I wouldn't recommend glass - definitely stick with mesh. You don’t want to take the chance that he/she isn’t getting enough air. They need a lot of ventilation and the mesh also is good for climbing. They’re so sensitive to the environment that glass just makes it difficult. If you read any book or article that states how to take care of Chameleons they all state to have a lot of ventilation and make sure you have the right temperature.

Depending on where the keeper lives and the climate a screen cage MAY or MAY NOT be the best choice. This is an endless debate and the answer is, it depends...

I prefer and have used a sort of hybrid cage instead. It starts out as a mesh cage, but I build it so I can put clear plexi panels on the back and sides if the temps and humidity level in my house call for it. Basically I make storm windows for the mesh panels so I can custom fit the level of airflow by season or species.

You can keep humidity in a mesh cage by hanging clear vinyl shower curtains on the back and sides too.

BTW, I did have a male veiled who definitely displayed to the reflections of himself in glass (when moved to a screen cage he stopped). I have had other wc chams who pawed at glass for hours trying to get past the invisible barrier. Other chams completely ignored it. Myth or not? Again, the irritating answer is, it depends...

Well I live in a warm, humid envirement in Northern Indiana, so I may just get a Iguanarium or cage with mesh and see how it keeps temps up and humidity. I can always add clear plastic vinyl shower curtains to the back and sides if it doesn't keep humidity high enough.

Back
Top Bottom