I’m up before the sun most days. How should feeding go?

Tskidmore

4 Month Old Panther- Flynnigan
My wife and I are both up before the sun. At work at 6 AM. I know it’s best to feed when their light comes on so they’ll be active, am I okay to put the feeders in at say 5:30 and then have the light come on at 7:30 or 8? I’ve read that their dusting can come off and the chameleon won’t get as many nutrients.

Hi and welcome! :) I would say to adjust the times you have your lights go on to be closer to the actual sunrise in your area. I keep mine set by a summer schedule - so currently my lights are going on/off at around 6:30. In the winter months it’s still dark, but not for long and in the summer the sun has already risen. If you don’t already have an enclosed type feeding station (like the shooting gallery https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 or lunch log https://sunsetchameleons.com/product-category/feeders/ ) then getting one would help keep the feeders contained and restrict some of their movement a little. You could test on your days off how much supplement comes off the feeders in an hour or so and see if putting a heavier coat of supplement on the bugs helps. Not sure if my ideas will work. Maybe another member has some better suggestions.

4 Month Old Panther- Flynnigan
My wife and I are both up before the sun. At work at 6 AM. I know it’s best to feed when their light comes on so they’ll be active, am I okay to put the feeders in at say 5:30 and then have the light come on at 7:30 or 8? I’ve read that their dusting can come off and the chameleon won’t get as many nutrients.

I'm in the same boat as you during the spring and the fall (I work extra hours and have to go in extra early). I'll just share a little portion of my schedule that pertains:

I have to be at work at 7am (spring, fall)

Spikes last misting session is at 6:30am for 2 mins.

I get ready for work before this time and wait till it's done to put the bugs in. I just set them up like normal, while the lights are off, but if I do this before the misting..... they'd get soaked. so if possible, you want to time this after your last misting session in the morning (or perhaps adjust that misting session if possible?).

In the summer and winter, I have to be at work at 8am. So by the time I wake up around 7am, the misting session is already over and Spikes lights are already on. Spike is usually on the top branches basking in the UVB/warmth while I am setting up his bugs.

This has worked well for me as I simply feed him what I believe he will eat for the day, based on what he's been eating daily. This has worked excellent for me. I wouldn't worry about the dusting coming off. But this is why its important to set up the bugs AFTER the misting. If they're getting hit by the mister..... then yeah I'd worry about the dusting being washed off. Hope this helps!

I'm in the same boat as you during the spring and the fall (I work extra hours and have to go in extra early). I'll just share a little portion of my schedule that pertains:

I have to be at work at 7am (spring, fall)

Spikes last misting session is at 6:30am for 2 mins.

I get ready for work before this time and wait till it's done to put the bugs in. I just set them up like normal, while the lights are off, but if I do this before the misting..... they'd get soaked. so if possible, you want to time this after your last misting session in the morning (or perhaps adjust that misting session if possible?).

In the summer and winter, I have to be at work at 8am. So by the time I wake up around 7am, the misting session is already over and Spikes lights are already on. Spike is usually on the top branches basking in the UVB/warmth while I am setting up his bugs.

This has worked well for me as I simply feed him what I believe he will eat for the day, based on what he's been eating daily. This has worked excellent for me. I wouldn't worry about the dusting coming off. But this is why it’s important to set up the bugs AFTER the misting. If they're getting hit by the mister..... then yeah I'd worry about the dusting being washed off. Hope this helps!
So you put all of your feeders in for the day in the morning? I was told to feed 12-20 total crickets split into two feedings. Do you, for example, put all 20 in?

At your chameleon's age, they should only be fed once in the morning so all 20 in at once. This way they have time to bask and digest their food.

Back
Top Bottom