Hunting with mouth open?

Oh and normally I don't step into these "arguments" BUT I feel that we have ALL acknowledged his mistake (him included im sure), Seriously five people have pointed out only one really needed to, and we should all just TALK, not argue, on how he should fix it and dont say rude things or put him down.
We dont need to attack people on here

That is all i am trying to say thank you! Not trying to put him down just pointing out he is being a little harsh.

I don't like being told that I am going to kill him. It is a vented terrarium not a glass aquarium.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Translucent veiled chameleon Male, maybe a month old. Had him for 4 days.
Handling - every-every other day
Feeding - Crickets and fruit flys 10 crickets or so and a few flies for the first time today with crickets. Fed late morning an hour or so after I turn on the lamp. How are you gut-loading your feeders? They have been fed cricket food, apple, carrot, cricket quencher, zuchinni.
Supplements - Flukers calcium everyday on crickets once a week with reptivite multi vitamins
Watering - Mist 4-5 times a day with treated water - haven't seen him drink yet and he hates the spray bottle (I DO NOT SPRAY HIM DIRECTLY)
Fecal Description - never tested for parasites, most of his poop is white but have had a couple of brown.
History - Brand new owner brand new baby

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Combination ventelated screen and glass cage 17 in tall and 12 in wide
Lighting - zoomed 50w basking spot lamp 6 or 7 hrs a day and reptiglo 26w 5.0 uvb 4 hrs a day (hope to get better combo lamp soon)
Temperature - 80-85 day 70-75 night plastic therm and humidity moniters from petsmart...guess i will invest in digi... the best place for them in the middle of the tank?
Humidity - Trying to keep 50% by misting 4-5 times a day
Plants - none yet plastic only
Placement - in a corner in my room 4 ft off the floor near a window which is behind dense curtians.
Location - North Texas

Current Problem - Dont know there is a current problem.

I don't like being told that I am going to kill him. It is a vented terrarium not a glass aquarium.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Translucent veiled chameleon Male, maybe a month old. Had him for 4 days. You should never buy a chameleon so young. Especially if this is your first. Next time buy one that is about3 months old.
Handling - every-every other dayTry not to handle so much since you got him only 4 days ago
Feeding - Crickets and fruit flys 10 crickets or so and a few flies for the first time today with crickets. Fed late morning an hour or so after I turn on the lamp. How are you gut-loading your feeders? They have been fed cricket food, apple, carrot, cricket quencher, zuchinni.
Supplements - Flukers calcium everyday on crickets once a week with reptivite multi vitaminsCheck my other post, gave you info on this
Watering - Mist 4-5 times a day with treated water - haven't seen him drink yet and he hates the spray bottle (I DO NOT SPRAY HIM DIRECTLY) How long do you spray him for?
Fecal Description - never tested for parasites, most of his poop is white but have had a couple of brown.
History - Brand new owner brand new baby

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Combination ventelated screen and glass cage 17 in tall and 12 in wide
Lighting - zoomed 50w basking spot lamp 6 or 7 hrs a day and reptiglo 26w 5.0 uvb 4 hrs a day (hope to get better combo lamp soon) He needs both lights to be on for 12 hours everday.
Temperature - 80-85 day 70-75 night plastic therm and humidity moniters from petsmart...guess i will invest in digi... the best place for them in the middle of the tank?
Humidity - Trying to keep 50% by misting 4-5 times a day Try to make the humidity to go up to about 70% each misting.
Plants - none yet plastic only Live plants will help with humidity. Try and get a schefflera(umbrella tree)
Placement - in a corner in my room 4 ft off the floor near a window which is behind dense curtians.
Location - North Texas

Current Problem - Dont know there is a current problem.

message to short blah blah blah

Good Job

Your care sounds has some minor issues i dont think you should handle him as much though it can really stress him chameleons are as tolerable to handling like a leopard gecko is. You are using the tube uvb light right? Because if it is a compact uvb bulb it can cause eye problems for your cham.

I have been getting mixed messages about lighting and how much and how long!! I have also heard basking lamp for 10-12 hrs and no more than 4 hr a day for uva uvb. That is stressfull. I spray for 30+ seconds working on getting live plants for help with humidity for sure, hopefully tomorrow, gonna go with a pathos. Ok i also read many times 50% humidity but i will get it to 70. I have only ever handled him when he was willing, it is never forced, he turns me down more often than not. Actually I have only handled him twice both of which are pics on here now.

The spiral uvb bulbs are bad for the chameleons eyes. You want to get a 5.0 reptisun uvb bulb and leave both the basking bulb and uvb bulb on for 12 hours a day.

ok so a linear bulb instead. Ok no prob i can probably still take this one back.

Plastic thermometers are reallly reallly wrong most of the time. You may think it's 80-85 in there, but it's probably a lot hotter! You may just be cooking him alive and do t know it. You better get your act together before something very serious does indeed happen.

Plastic thermometers are reallly reallly wrong most of the time. You may think it's 80-85 in there, but it's probably a lot hotter! You may just be cooking him alive and do t know it. You better get your act together before something very serious does indeed happen.

Whoa, take a step back there pssh.
You don't know for certain if his temps are off at all. It seems like it's reading the temperatures up and down perfectly fine, so I seriously doubt it's miss-calibrated that badly.

Way too many people are jumping over Gin here for practically no reason.

I was easily able to read his first post and not come to the conclusion that he's taking a tank outside with the cham and flipping it upside down and trying to cook the animal.

We also don't know if the spiral UVB bulb is a good or a bad one, Gin there are ways to figure that out, I would do that FIRST instead of buying a linear tube.

There are way too many people here adding in negative comments after 'trying' to give Gin help here, they really shouldn't be necessary.

I am going to jump independently-one of the worst things I see on here are people using cheap analog thermometers. With those you honestly have no idea how hot basking spots are getting. Investing in a digital means less than $10.00. With an Exoterrra tank that size and a 50W spot bulb you are literally baking him, and setting the tank in the sun is baking him again. If the animal is a month old, he should not be in temps over 85 degrees.

Whoa, take a step back there pssh.
You don't know for certain if his temps are off at all.

did I say that the temperature is indeed off? No, I used the words "may," "probably," and "most of the time" for a reason. In general, plastic and analog thermometers suck as reading temperatures correctly, and that's what I was pointing out along with the fact that if they are off she may be cooking it.

did I say that the temperature is indeed off? No, I used the words "may," "probably," and "most of the time" for a reason. In general, plastic and analog thermometers suck as reading temperatures correctly, and that's what I was pointing out along with the fact that if they are off she may be cooking it.

I think your post was warranted pssh. It is a common newbie mistake and I would rather have someone a bit harshly tell me about temps rather than have a dead cham.

In general, plastic and analog thermometers suck as reading temperatures correctly, and that's what I was pointing out

This would have been fine.

You may just be cooking him alive and do t know it.
That was fine too
You better get your act together before something very serious does indeed happen.
That was out of line and could have been easily worded better as to not imply Gin specifically trying to kill their animal.
Because it's quite possible Gin has their act together.

I am still learning and I know it is not over 85 during the day.... he is in my room and under constant attention except the 5 or so hours a day I work in which my mom will spray him for me. I will be purchasing digital gauges asap anyhow because everyone here has made me more nervous and paranoid than I already was! Trying to call the place I bought him at to find his true age!! I knew since he was young it would be a harder challange, but no where did I find that I shouldn't have bought him so young. I really wish there was someone here in the north tx area that I could use as a mentor!!

No need to panic-it really is a little scary when you start off with these guys. Just get a digital thermometer ASAP and put it under the basking light where the chameleon will be "perched". You may be suprised how hot those bulbs can make something from about 6-7" away. We are all here and happy to help with your questions-we all started off somewhere!

For all of you who may be curious, I got a hold of the shop I bought him at and they have been selling these Veileds for 17 years from the same breeder (Austin TX if you are out there) and he is 1 1/2 months old, they have been sucessfull with a great number of their new owners and I can call anytime. Also, he stands behind these claims to the extent that he guarantees all of his pets. (ie money back or replacement) I was also asked to bring him back and show him off in the future!! Lovin' my Rufio!

I note you say you intend to get a combo lamp later. As you are in a place that gets warm, you might not want to do that. Being able to shut off the basking light while leaving the UVB lamp on can be very helpful on hot days.

Can I ask a couple of questions? How long after eating does he keep his mouth open? Does he do this regardless of what he's eaten or only after certain feeders.

Back
Top Bottom