Humidity in Reptarium

I'm worried cause the humidity is supposed to be 60-70% and i know 50% is ok, but 10 mins after misting im at 45% and it usually is at 45% i just want it to be constantly a bit higher than that. If i could get the humidity to be a constant 50-55 then when i mist i can get it to 70 or so, im positive there won't ever be too much humdity in there cause its so hard to keep humidity in there in the first place.

But sincerely-where it is at is fine. You should not be worried. And if you had a good digital humidity guage you might find you are way off anyways.

If it is one of those analog humidity guages with the pretty colors and the needle it is worthless. I am sure your humidity is fine. Why are you so worried about it? The bubbler thing is just not a natural thing and with the movement potentially stressful.

Worthless?? That's probably why my exoterra hygrometer is saying that humidity is 75-90% lol was getting a little puzzled at why there wasn't steam coming out of the Viv everytime I opened it up :eek:

I hope not haha. I just went and bought one of those air stones cause i saw it was only 50 cents only to find out that it needs an air pump... depressing

I have to agree with what is being said here at then end. If this is an issue that has you that concerned then you need the proper equipment to moniter it. This will settle your mind now and in the future.

A measuring device is only as good as the person using it. If you just strap a hydrometer to one side of the cage you will probably fail to see the whole picture. Under the basking lamp might read 20% while on the opposite side of the cage lower down might read 65%.

Move the gauge around and see what the cage has to offer. Then when it is mounted in its more permanent location you can make more informed assumptions as to how the rest of the cage might be.

A chameleon does not just need a cage set-up to "lab" type standards. They need variations throughout the cage not only in temperature but in moisture as well. To keep them content in a cage they will need all of these otherwise they will try and seek them out. So don't beat your head against the wall trying to get perfect numbers. Odds are your chameleon would appreciate it more if you did not.

I personally do not think that an air stone with an air pump has enough output to add moisture to a large open (air) style cage.

i hear wat ur sayin... i guess i should buy proper digital equipment then? And if i find that the humidity is still not satisfactory after that by a little bit then i guess ill put a whole bunch of floral moss in there. Just one question about that tho: I have a product called FloraCraft Floral Moss" i got it from walmart. I was just wondering if it was safe to use with chameleons. You know no chemicals stuff like that. It doesn't say anythin like that on the box, but im not gonna use it till i kno for sure

i hear wat ur sayin... i guess i should buy proper digital equipment then? And if i find that the humidity is still not satisfactory after that by a little bit then i guess ill put a whole bunch of floral moss in there. Just one question about that tho: I have a product called FloraCraft Floral Moss" i got it from walmart. I was just wondering if it was safe to use with chameleons. You know no chemicals stuff like that. It doesn't say anythin like that on the box, but im not gonna use it till i kno for sure

Don't use that floral moss-I don't beleive that is even natural. NO SUBSTRATE-you are risking impaction. I must say (in a nice way) that you are obsessed with this humidity thing no matter how many people tell you all is well. Unless you chameleon starts to dry up quit worrying about it!

Back
Top Bottom