Night time humidity question

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello,

I've recently implemented a fogger to help boost my juvenile veiled chameleons humidity. During the day the humidity stays around 40-55%. At night it's only been getting to 50-60% or so (before I added the fogger). I'm running my mister and fogger for 15 minutes 30 before lights come on in the morning, and 15 minutes after the lights go off at night. The humidity reached 96% at her sleeping spot (I placed the probe right under her) while the mister/fogger were running and for about an hour or so after. I just checked it again and it's down to 65%.

My question is, should I be trying to keep the humidity at 80-100% ALL night long through the morning? Or am I just trying to reach those higher humidity numbers, and let it lower, until the morning when they run again? If I need to keep the humidity at a constant 80-100% humidity all night/morning, then should I begin adding more 15 minute mist/fog sessions throughout the night to keep those numbers high?

Hello,

I've recently implemented a fogger to help boost my juvenile veiled chameleons humidity. During the day the humidity stays around 40-55%. At night it's only been getting to 50-60% or so (before I added the fogger). I'm running my mister and fogger for 15 minutes 30 before lights come on in the morning, and 15 minutes after the lights go off at night. The humidity reached 96% at her sleeping spot (I placed the probe right under her) while the mister/fogger were running and for about an hour or so after. I just checked it again and it's down to 65%.

My question is, should I be trying to keep the humidity at 80-100% ALL night long through the morning? Or am I just trying to reach those higher humidity numbers, and let it lower, until the morning when they run again? If I need to keep the humidity at a constant 80-100% humidity all night/morning, then should I begin adding more 15 minute mist/fog sessions throughout the night to keep those numbers high?
Great question! I believe most have their fogger set to go off for and hour or two in the wee hours of the morning…like around 4 - 5 AM.

Great question! I believe most have their fogger set to go off for and hour or two in the wee hours of the morning…like around 4 - 5 AM.
Hi @MissSkittles :) well My Max is silly and she doesn't like the 7am-7pm schedule that everyone else uses. She likes 6am-6pm lol! I literally had to change my timers and all to adjust for her <3. With that being said I am already going to have the mist/fogger going off at 5:30am before lights come on at 6am. So do you think I'm good with how I have it? Or should I have my mist+fogger going off throughout the night to keep the humidity % higher? Right now her temps are low-mid 60f, and humidity is at 58%

edit: If I am supposed to be keeping the humidity 80%+, I feel like I'd have to run my mister+fogger for 15 minutes every other hour. Does that sound right????

ugh. so she also moved from her sleeping spot, to sleeping right under where the fogger releases. Like directly under it. Is she telling me she wants it on more?

@MissSkittles Sorry to blow you up but I've searched around and read something that helped me understand the recommended fog schedule better. So it's 15 minutes every hour (well this of course would depend on your ambient temps/humidity) should work perfect for me. I'm gonna give that a shot tonight. thank you for your help as always <3

Sorry I missed this . but now curious on how things are going.
Unfortunately she passed away a while back ☹️. I believe she had a respiratory infection. Took her to a vet who assured me she wasn't sick and she passed away a week later. Since then my son has decided he wants a panther chameleon, and we purchased one but I built my own enclosure so we are waiting for it to air out. He ships out on the 24th!

This time we are going with a reputable breeder.

Unfortunately she passed away a while back ☹️. I believe she had a respiratory infection. Took her to a vet who assured me she wasn't sick and she passed away a week later. Since then my son has decided he wants a panther chameleon, and we purchased one but I built my own enclosure so we are waiting for it to air out. He ships out on the 24th!

This time we are going with a reputable breeder.
Sorry to hear that , but I’m happy that you are trying again you didn’t give up . Looking forward to hearing more about your experience in the future.! I guess sorry and congratulations all at the same time 👊😊

Sorry to hear that , but I’m happy that you are trying again you didn’t give up . Looking forward to hearing more about your experience in the future.! I guess sorry and congratulations all at the same time 👊😊
Thank you! I appreciate it. I struggled with it for a while and I almost wasn't gonna try again but I felt I had learned too much not to try again. I'm much more prepared this time around so I'm now feeling real good about it and really excited to get this little guy soon 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_113227_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_113227_Gallery.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 56
Thank you! I appreciate it. I struggled with it for a while and I almost wasn't gonna try again but I felt I had learned too much not to try again. I'm much more prepared this time around so I'm now feeling real good about it and really excited to get this little guy soon 🙂
Adorable!

Just note... If your using a fogger for the new baby that is coming. You are not running this during the day or right before lights on. You want to get humidity levels to drop down before your lights start adding heat to the enclosure. For fogging at night you want cold temps too or respiratory infections are a risk. I prefer to have my temps at night at least at 65 or lower. But I would not fog unless temps are at least 67-68.

Just note... If your using a fogger for the new baby that is coming. You are not running this during the day or right before lights on. You want to get humidity levels to drop down before your lights start adding heat to the enclosure. For fogging at night you want cold temps too or respiratory infections are a risk. I prefer to have my temps at night at least at 65 or lower. But I would not fog unless temps are at least 67-68.
absolutely! I never ran the fogger until after lights are out. Frams Chams recommended we run it 1am to 6am. But before he gets here I will make sure that around that time the temps / humidity are where they need to be first. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom