How to move with a cham?

ChameleonClem

Established Member
I plan on moving halfway across the country (us) and i plan on getting a chameleon before then, how do i do it with a chameleon?
I plan on doing it by car. Im pretty much clueless so any help appreciated.
The maps app on my phone says the fastest route is 18 hours with no stops, from where i am to keyhole state park (not planning on living there its just the first place i clicked)

Last edited:
Ideally just wait purchasing one till after you've moved.
Less worries for you, less to move for you and better for yer cham.

Otherwise there are various ways to move them, in a pillowcase in a box, or just in a tempex box with a stick jammed trough. Don't forget to provide a heatpack if needed and don't disturb him while traveling. You want to keep a stressful event like this as stressfree as you can.

We just found out we will be moving this summer as well. Ours will only be an 8 hour move but it will be from Texas to New Mexico in JULY! Its going to be HOT.

I agree with @Remkon, if you can wait, I would. The last move we made I had one male veiled and a bearded dragon and I actually found a home for the veiled before we left. I hated to do it but it was a really long trip and we were in a hotel for 3 weeks before getting into our house. The stress that would have put on him was something I wasn't willing to risk. My beardie was in liver failure and needed medicine daily and I didn't think she would make it through the trip but beardies are easier to be mobile and she traveled in a big bin that I could have her lights on. She made it through and then went on to live almost 3 more years.

This time is a much shorter trip and I have a veiled and a panther. I am not looking forward to the amount of work it is going to take to move them but I will. My plan is to get both a mesh laundry bag set up for when their cages have to be taken apart to move. Since it will be July they will be able to be outside most of the day. I have one already that I used for my panther all last summer. It is basically a fully zippable laundry bag with a nice big pathos in it. Works great! And then for the actually trip I will have a dark box for each with a towel in the bottom and a nice branch attached inside for them to fall asleep on. Keeping it dark will make them just sleep. The real trick is going to be keeping them from overheating when we stop to eat. We will also be moving 2 dogs and 2 cats so someone will just have to stay in the car and keep it running with the air on. Plus I have a quad 48" light for one cage and 18" for the other, both basking lights, a LARGE Dragonstrand atrium, a large birdcage converted to a cham cage, and the mistking set up to have to move. It is going to be a huge undertaking and if I was close to getting a cham and didn't already have them I would definitely wait till I was moved already.

We just found out we will be moving this summer as well. Ours will only be an 8 hour move but it will be from Texas to New Mexico in JULY! Its going to be HOT.

I agree with @Remkon, if you can wait, I would. The last move we made I had one male veiled and a bearded dragon and I actually found a home for the veiled before we left. I hated to do it but it was a really long trip and we were in a hotel for 3 weeks before getting into our house. The stress that would have put on him was something I wasn't willing to risk. My beardie was in liver failure and needed medicine daily and I didn't think she would make it through the trip but beardies are easier to be mobile and she traveled in a big bin that I could have her lights on. She made it through and then went on to live almost 3 more years.

This time is a much shorter trip and I have a veiled and a panther. I am not looking forward to the amount of work it is going to take to move them but I will. My plan is to get both a mesh laundry bag set up for when their cages have to be taken apart to move. Since it will be July they will be able to be outside most of the day. I have one already that I used for my panther all last summer. It is basically a fully zippable laundry bag with a nice big pathos in it. Works great! And then for the actually trip I will have a dark box for each with a towel in the bottom and a nice branch attached inside for them to fall asleep on. Keeping it dark will make them just sleep. The real trick is going to be keeping them from overheating when we stop to eat. We will also be moving 2 dogs and 2 cats so someone will just have to stay in the car and keep it running with the air on. Plus I have a quad 48" light for one cage and 18" for the other, both basking lights, a LARGE Dragonstrand atrium, a large birdcage converted to a cham cage, and the mistking set up to have to move. It is going to be a huge undertaking and if I was close to getting a cham and didn't already have them I would definitely wait till I was moved already.
Oh wow lol..it seems like you have things under control though..
I'm just curious..would the 48" quad be for the large atrium?

Oh wow lol..it seems like you have things under control though..
I'm just curious..would the 48" quad be for the large atrium?
Yup. I had the 36" first bust exchanged it. They are very heavy and I have to use cross beams so it didn't fall through the screen. I was afraid though that it was too much pressure on the frame. the 48" hangs over about and inch on both sides but is much more sturdy.

Ideally just wait purchasing one till after you've moved.
Less worries for you, less to move for you and better for yer cham.

Otherwise there are various ways to move them, in a pillowcase in a box, or just in a tempex box with a stick jammed trough. Don't forget to provide a heatpack if needed and don't disturb him while traveling. You want to keep a stressful event like this as stressfree as you can.

Well its gonna be a year or two before we start getting this wagon train moving, which is why i didnt want to wait. What if we had the actuall shipping type box? Would that work? With heat packs of course, like you said. I already have most of the equipment so less stuff to move doesnt really matter to me, especially since we will be moving two alpacas, five goats, 15 chickens, 6+ fish, and three dogs. We plan to make it a trip with no sleep splitting the driving up between two of us. We hope to do it with one of those shady looking vans like people use in spy movies lol!

Oh boy, good luck with all that heat, and moving this time! If using a box setup like you would if you were actually going to ship them, ill wait. When we do move were going to make sure house is ready and that we have a good safe place for all of our animals mentioned above. I also have some hermit crabs which i might get rid of before hand to spare them, but i dont know, i still have to find out if elevation bothers them. Itll be hard especially since the last time i moved i was 3 yrs old. :eek: But itll be okay, theres always a way. (y)

Well its gonna be a year or two before we start getting this wagon train moving, which is why i didnt want to wait. What if we had the actuall shipping type box? Would that work? With heat packs of course, like you said. I already have most of the equipment so less stuff to move doesnt really matter to me, especially since we will be moving two alpacas, five goats, 15 chickens, 6+ fish, and three dogs. We plan to make it a trip with no sleep splitting the driving up between two of us. We hope to do it with one of those shady looking vans like people use in spy movies lol!

Oh boy, good luck with all that heat, and moving this time! If using a box setup like you would if you were actually going to ship them, ill wait. When we do move were going to make sure house is ready and that we have a good safe place for all of our animals mentioned above. I also have some hermit crabs which i might get rid of before hand to spare them, but i dont know, i still have to find out if elevation bothers them. Itll be hard especially since the last time i moved i was 3 yrs old. :eek: But itll be okay, theres always a way. (y)

Whatever your decision, good luck. That A LOT of animals to move. We've made a career of moving and I hate it every time. Hopefully after this one we will just have one more to move to where we want to retire to.

Whatever your decision, good luck. That A LOT of animals to move. We've made a career of moving and I hate it every time. Hopefully after this one we will just have one more to move to where we want to retire to.

It is alot of animals, :p but theyre all our beloved pets, which is why trying to "avoid the stress of moving the animal" is irrelevant to me. Either way i have quite the wide array of pets to move, all i care about is the health of my animals. My animals are my babies :love:.
I see why you hate hoving though, we havnt even started physically preparing but im already finding some stress lol :p were moving this time probably to the wyoming area to make a homestead to last for generations. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom