how to do indoor plants?

jasimmons86

I been using fake vines and flowers in my chameleons cage, but I want to get a plant in their. I'm not a gardnener by no means.
will the uvb light be sufficient enough to help the plant thrive, I will still water it of course.
or do I need to maybe buy two plants, keep one outside and swamp them out of the cage every couple of days?

thanks

I been using fake vines and flowers in my chameleons cage, but I want to get a plant in their. I'm not a gardnener by no means.
will the uvb light be sufficient enough to help the plant thrive, I will still water it of course.
or do I need to maybe buy two plants, keep one outside and swamp them out of the cage every couple of days?

thanks

You won’t have to do it eery couple of days. I have two of each and only swap them once the soil is overly started and needs a break! I use pothos, weeping ficus, umbrella tree’s. I have not (knocking on wood) had anything kick the bucket yet!

The UV will definitely help the plants grow and thrive in their cage. We currently use pothos and schefflera plants in both cages and we haven't had any issues.

We've used ficus in the past but have noticed that the schefflera seems to hold water better. The live plants will help a lot with your humidity levels as well.

The only thing I'll suggest is to ensure that the pots have proper drainage so the roots don't become overly saturated with all of the misting. It's a good idea to repot them as well to ensure the soil is free of pesticides and other chemicals.

I have hibiscus, umbrellas, and pothos. I keep them alive with a 6500k bulb i got from home depot for like ten bucks for two. Keep in mind that the plants will most likely go through a "dropping period". Most of the plants bought are from outdoor garden centers and get natural sun light. When you remove them fromm natural light and go with artificial light they will drop most of the leaves. Give the plants a chance to rebound with the artificial light.

I seem to be having some troubles too. I keep returning the dead plants to home depot and getting new ones. The bigger the plant the harder it is for me to keep alive. The little plants do fine.

Any one know if Hibiscus will grow and do ok under the 6500k lighting or do they still have to be switched out every so often?

I seem to be having some troubles too. I keep returning the dead plants to home depot and getting new ones. The bigger the plant the harder it is for me to keep alive. The little plants do fine.

the light must get to all the leaves in order for the plant to sustain them. if you have a plant that was outside getting natural light, then you move it inside under artifical light. you will notice the light dosent move like the sun so only certain parts get light. the parts that dont get light will die off. not much you can do. if you give the plant time to rebound it will grow back just not as full.

Any one know if Hibiscus will grow and do ok under the 6500k lighting or do they still have to be switched out every so often?

depends, some hibiscus will some wont. its not an exact science. i had two die before the one i have now lived. i didnt do anything different with all three. one lived two died.

To help keep my live plants healthier I sometimes put a single tube fluorescent fixture vertically along one side of the cage to expand the lighted area. Its a great way to make use of those "spent" ReptiSuns until the bulb burns out completely. The plants love it.

thanks

No plant will want to be moved every few days.

If you keep your plants well drained, well lit, not too close to heat bulbs, keep potting soil in good shape, indoor plants can do just fine. I often use clay pots instead of plastic too. They dry out faster and release all that moisture into the cage air.

In "real life" I can't keep a plant alive to save my life, but for some reason they do really well in my cham enclosures. I have pothos and schefflera that do beyond great! I tried hibiscus, but I don't think my enclosure conditions were right for it. Also tried some ferns and moss in my pygmy enclosure but those were a no go too. I've never switched my plants in and out of the enclosures, and some have been there for years, filling out the space nicely. I don't water them per se. They get whatever water is there from misting the chameleons. I don't provide any "special" plant lights either. Again, just what the chams need for proper conditions. Give it a try. At worst you might take a few attempts, at best you might find out that you can grow plants. I bet your chameleon will love it!

Back
Top Bottom