How long before I introduce female to male after egg laying?

shrink9

Hi, everybody!

One of my Nosy Be females layed eggs yesterday/today. Since this is the first time for me, I am wondering how long I should wait before I try introducing her to one of my other males? I don't want to wait until after she lays another batch of eggs since I do not know who she was bred to the last time.

Any input will be appreciated.

Allen

How old is she? I don't breed mine until they are a year old.

She won't likely be receptive for a month. Just show her to the male and you will know by her reactions if she is receptive or not.

Thanks for your reply. She is only 10 months old. I would have waited however, the previous owner had already bred her before I got her.

If she just laid she will not be receptive anytime soon because she has another clutch right around the corner, 1.5 to 2 months. If they retained sperm you can't pair them again to another male just to be sure. You just have to wait till she lays again, sometimes even 3 clutches, and then I wouldn't even breed her again that same year. It is very hard on their bodies if you do.

-chris

When they have retained sperm, they will still often mate again...but be aware that then you will not know who the father is.

If you are concerned about who the father is then you will have to let her continue to lay clutches without mating her until one is completely infertile.

With panthers, unlike veileds, I have never been able to stop the egglaying completely....so she will likely continue to lay eggs each cycle whether you mate her or not. Laying infertile eggs is likely easier on her than laying fertile ones though.

If she just laid she will not be receptive anytime soon because she has another clutch right around the corner, 1.5 to 2 months. If they retained sperm you can't pair them again to another male just to be sure. You just have to wait till she lays again, sometimes even 3 clutches, and then I wouldn't even breed her again that same year. It is very hard on their bodies if you do.

-chris

Is it really only 45-60 days turnaround to the next clutch with retained sperm? I thought it was longer.

Okay. Thanks. My female is retaining after layed at the beginning of Dec. She's pretty fat but hasn't been showing the "I need to lay" characteristics. I guess I'll put a laying chamber in there just in case.

IMHO there should always be a place for an egglaying chameleon to dig in the cage so the sometimes subtle signs of being ready to lay the eggs are not missed.

Back
Top Bottom