How big of a roach?

Chameleon Mike

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm going to try feeding my panther a roach again. He is 6 months old. How big of a roach can I give him? What can I use as a reference?

Sage advice given above. Space between your chams eyes that is equivalent to the size of the bug is the rule. If in doubt, go smaller. Bigger prey items like roaches and other hard bodied exoskeleton insects can get stuck and cause you/cham all sorts of heart ache.

To clarify, the general belief is that a feeder should be no wider than the space between the eyes. Many feeders are longer than that but would be fine to feed. Impaction is not the main concern. Choking would be more of an issue.

Thanks for clarifying. I've fed crickets that fit between the eyes but the superworms are longer and the roaches that fit between the eyes just seemed kind of small. This helps.

I feed hornworms and soft insects larger. Hard shell insects I tend to stay the size of the head. For it can cause problems with digestion

Look... while you might be trying to max out the food he takes in by giving him a good size meal try and keep this rule in mind.... smaller is fine, just make up for it in quantity. Instead of one big food item, give him two to three smaller ones.

Look... while you might be trying to max out the food he takes in by giving him a good size meal try and keep this rule in mind.... smaller is fine, just make up for it in quantity. Instead of one big food item, give him two to three smaller ones.
Thanks I'll do that. I don't want to push the limits or anything.

Back
Top Bottom