Hornworms just came in

Manik6

Just got my first batch of hornworms. They look awesome but still as any insect it creeps me out. Do these things bite? And whats the best way to take them out of the deli cop without using a spoon. atte all those little brown things poop and should i clean it out.

They can bite but it doesn't hurt. Yes the brown stuff is poop, just tip the deli cup onto a paper towel every day and dump it out. You can use tweezers to pick the up but it is hard as the wiggle so much. Picking them up isn't really bad.

when i was a kid my brother and i would collect hornworms the size of our wrists (granted i was seven and he was five, but they were freaking huge), and we were never bitten. they are big, and they are juicy, but that is only all the more reason to love them for your cham. and don't allow their fake eye or anything else to freak you out: they're really just a caterpillar.

One of my adult male dubia's bit me once! Surpised the crap out of me, but didn't hurt at all. I jumped about 4' in the air though!! :eek: Then I thought to myself, that little guy can't hurt me.... lol.

Then I fed him to my bearded dragon!!! :D

I had one hornworm who hada really bad tude. He was spitting all over the place and bit me twice while i moved him from the cup to the cham

I had one hornworm who hada really bad tude. He was spitting all over the place and bit me twice while i moved him from the cup to the cham

I usually try to have compassion for my roaches & crickets. But, after the roach bit me, I was happy to see my bearded chomp down on his head! :D

Damn its nice to know I brought up a very interesting and lively topic. I guess ill grow a pair and grab one tomorrow. Im used to the crickets now but this one wont be as bad when I order some dubias. Roaches take the cake when it comes to being freaked out, but anything for my chams.

What freaked me out the most was that i saw one worm head smacking another one. kinda funny though!

How much are hornworms and dubia roaches? I really need more of these different insects for my Cham :D I already feed him superworms, mealworms, waxworms and pinheads..

Take your cup and turn it lid down, and BANG it on the counter. This will put most of the frass on the lid to dump in the garbage, and will dislodge some worms so you don't have to reach in.

Grab the worms by the back (horn) end when they are holding on to something, they peel off better.

Grab the larger worms in the middle to move them or to place them in the cage, so they can't turn to chomp you.:D

Been bit a couple of times, it will scare more than hurt.............:p

Nick

My 2 and 4 yr old like to hold the hornworms and pet them. They're harmless.

As for the frass, keep the cups lid side down, but propped up a bit one side (about 1/4"). Then just take the lid off over the trash can and dump the frass.

Cool, ill try that. Yeah grabbing them isn't a problem anymore but they have a strong grip. Some are already getting too big for my chams. My female is a trooper but I dont want to risk her choking. I but em in the fridge every other day.

Back
Top Bottom