Hornworm Breeding Journey PICTURES

i bought my last hornworm chow off amazon for 5 bucks a bag. it dosen't make much. but the worms seem to like it. i'm going to order a couple pounds of chow as soon as i get eggs to hatch/if i ever get eggs to hatch.

i bought my last hornworm chow off amazon for 5 bucks a bag. it dosen't make much. but the worms seem to like it. i'm going to order a couple pounds of chow as soon as i get eggs to hatch/if i ever get eggs to hatch.

i'm worried i will get eggs and they won't hatch. but everything i researched said to keep the eggs moist, and 80-85 degrees and they hatch in 3-5 days

i hope they hatch for you!

if i pull this off i will be the only hornworm breeder in my state :)

So I got up this morning and fed both chams some crickets like I do every morning, checked on the hornworm cage and still no moths. Go check my calendar and tomorrow will be 4 weeks since the first 2 pupated. I get ready and head down to the reptile expo I go to every month to get feeders. My brother and I talk to several venders for a couple hours and decide to head home. Got home at 1pm and take my crickets to the garage to put them in the cage and look dow in the hornworm cage and there sit 2 moths just hanging out. Have not seen them eat yet so im going to go buy a couple more hummingbird feeders to put at different levels in the cage so they will have the best chance of finding the nectar.

crap so it takes them up to a month to pupate?? i'll remember to leave that out when i talk to my husband about it..lol.

Just watched my 2 moths eat out of the feeders. It's really neat to watch them. No eggs yet but hopefully some more will hatch out and start breeding soon.

Just got home from work and found 12 eggs on the tomato plant. Put them in a cup to wait to hatch. Hope I get about 3-400 eggs out of this batch.

Picture of my cage

Attachments

• 20150610_163449.jpg
    20150610_163449.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 212
So far I have collected over 400 eggs and the first ones started hatching this morning. Took about 6 days for them to start hatching. Now gonna have tomfigure out what tomdo with them all. Next time im going to pupate 50 instead of 14 I already have a few people wanting them to feed to their bearded dragons and leopard geckos.

Well I have about 100 worms about an inch long, perfect for feeding my small veiled, another 3-400 at about a 1/4". Im set for a few weeks on hornworms then it all starts again. Next time im going to let 40-50 pupate because I have several people interested in worms to feed their reptiles.

Just started mine. Moths should hatch in a week if all goes well. I just have 3 of them. Starting small as I don't have that many reptiles to feed that many hornworms to. I have read online that they are very messy. Just need to get the hummingbird feeder.

Back
Top Bottom