Horn worm size ?

Jeremy l

ok so i got some horn worms and now 3 of them are almost 4 inches in length. now do i have a new pet worm, or can i still feed it to my cham ?

Be careful feeding those big guys.
If you don't, then it will be a repeat of my stupid mistake.
Hornworms are soft bodied insects and large worms can be fed to an appropriate size and age chameleon.
With that being said, please hand feed the large ones.

I have fed my male some fairly large hornworms...on that note make sure as he lunges for it to take an extra jump backwards...the large ones tend to "squirt" a little farther if you know what I mean ;) But they are soft bodies so I believe the "eye to eye" rule doesn't quite apply, but I would still take caution.

worst comes to worst and you get too nervous about feeding the big ones, just let them form their cocoon and in a couple of weeks, you have a nice moth to feed to your cham

Those moths are huge too! lol. Watch out for their pinchers! You should clip them off with nail clippers. The large hornworms can grip the vines so well, that some chameleons have trouble reeling them in! My advice is to start a little breeding project with the remaining big guys. There are a number of sites on the "how to" with breeding and raising hornworms. Toss em in a deep container with soil and watch em tunnel down and wait for the moths to emerge.

only problem i have had is that they can whip around and bite pretty hard. I take the mandibles off with a pair of toe nail clippers now.

Back
Top Bottom