Hemipenis Prolapse and Amputation

Donnie was not eating enough for my sister, even with medium grasshoppers on the menu! But… she didn’t know the oldest trick in the book. Offer a hornworm, and quickly sneak a dubia in its place at the last minute! I’ve been giving him a hornworm and 2-3 medium dubia daily. A wild, large differential grasshopper when we find them. He seems to have a little more energy and put on a few grams since we returned Friday. Still a bit weak in the mornings, but perkier after work. Thirsty as ever, but he has always loved his showers.

He now prefers to drink from the “streams” of water than run down the side of the cage. Chameleon water fountain!

Donnie was not eating enough for my sister, even with medium grasshoppers on the menu! But… she didn’t know the oldest trick in the book. Offer a hornworm, and quickly sneak a dubia in its place at the last minute! I’ve been giving him a hornworm and 2-3 medium dubia daily. A wild, large differential grasshopper when we find them. He seems to have a little more energy and put on a few grams since we returned Friday. Still a bit weak in the mornings, but perkier after work. Thirsty as ever, but he has always loved his showers.

He now prefers to drink from the “streams” of water than run down the side of the cage. Chameleon water fountain!

What a cutie!

Happy 7th birthday Donnie!!!! 🥳

DB156D05-0D36-4926-B3B6-C638BD57B4ED.jpeg

Thank you! He is still healing up - but his vent is looking better by the day. He has been sleepy and slow this week, with little appetite. The past 2 months he has has a lot of good days and a lot of bad days - so I try not to overthink things and just take care of his needs.
Happy birthday!!!

Sadly it’s getting too cold to live outside, but Donnie politely asked for some outside time today. 10 weeks post op… still healing and some scabbing, but he is slowly but surely retracting his vent and improving. Almost out of ointment so I’m going to switch to Silver Sulf soon.

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg

I'm sorry to share that Donnie passed away over night. I am both heartbroken and relieved. He seems to have gone peacefully in his sleep. No discoloration or signs of restlessness. He has been in the process of dying since Sunday, and I had decided last night that if he did not pass on his own this morning, I would take him to the vet. Before I fully realized he was dying, he reached out for me to hold him and absolutely refused for me to put him down. No outside. No free range trees. No food, no heat lamp. Just me. So I held him and sat outside with him for a bit, realizing he was saying goodbye. I recognized and didn't take this moment for granted, because when my other velcro boy, Desi, passed away - he was seemingly completely healthy. But one day he ran to me and wouldn't let go. He just sat there and looked at me, refusing to move anywhere. He passed away the next day, and I felt awful that I didn't spend more time holding him and eventually made him go back home. I always felt like Desi was saying goodbye. So when Donnie showed this behavior, I held him as long as I could. He nuzzled up to my shoulder and tucked his head against my neck, and laid there for what felt like hours. I spent a little time with him, letting him sleep on me each evening. He seemed most at peace there. He was restless at times. But when I held him, he was still and calm.

He's had a lot of ups and downs the past 3 months since his surgery. Most days were good days, but the bad days looked very grim. I am sure that this past surgery took a toll on him, and it was surely uncomfortable, but it seemed he was ready to go and he let me know in his sweet, gentle way. Seemingly overnight he went from active, eating, and even outside for a bit... to the next day being incredibly thin, weak, and sleeping. In his lucid moments, he only wanted to be held - at times exerting all his energy to literally leap towards me, for me to hold him. You would think after 2 surgeries over the past 15 months, and months of what I'm sure were painful treatments at my hands... that he would shy away when he saw me coming. Knowing that I'd be giving him medicine and removing his scabs. He never shied away - ever. He stayed completely still and patient while i treated him, and then often wanted to be held after. He was absolutely spoiled these past 15 months with 2 full summers lived outside, a large free range for winter, and as many of his favorite bugs he could eat. Grasshoppers, silkworms and hornworms every day. The longest showers I could handle (his favorite times of day). We had a very special bond, especially these past 15 months. I am so grateful that he and his brother came into our lives, and that I was blessed with such a special friend for so long. Thank you Donnie - I miss you so much already.

Back
Top Bottom