Help please lighting

What do u guys think ? I ordered the 24 inch 5.0 should be here soon and my new money tree for now. Just have to make her a lay egging area I know I need more plants just need to save up .already 500 in the hole idk how lol
Until my plants filled out and I had more of them, I attached fake ones on the outside. If you have some then it’s a free way to provide some coverage. Just used a thin wire to attach them to the screen. It’s a good way to provide coverage when you don’t have real ones. Also you can use branches from outside to give her more little roads to climb around on. Just make sure they aren’t from a sap producing tree. Wash them with water and a little dawn and let them dry in the sun if you can.

I know I ended up spending way more than I thought when I first got started. But once you have everything, it’s not so bad. I order bugs once a month and watch for sales on the bulbs. On prime day they had the reptisun bulbs for 17 bucks. So just keep an eye out!

I use heart leaf philodendron in my veiled enclosures just as much as pothos. Both are ‘toxic’ to pets in that they have calcium oxalates crystals. If my cat nibbles one, she’s supposed to get GI irritation. It doesn’t stop her from constantly trying to eat my back up plants. Usually oxalates will bind to calcium, which is why we don’t use spinach for gut loading. However, in these 2 plants, it’s already bound to calcium. AFAIK, there are no other toxic qualities to philodendron. I have to believe that they aren’t as tasty as pothos, as I don’t think I’ve seen any bite marks on philodendron leaves.
My girl has been eating her philodendron :(

What do u guys think ? I ordered the 24 inch 5.0 should be here soon and my new money tree for now. Just have to make her a lay egging area I know I need more plants just need to save up .already 500 in the hole idk how lol
Oh man I know exactly what you mean. I don't even want to know how much I have spent on my chameleons in the last 3 months, let alone the last year and a half 🤣 . It adds up, but once you have all the right stuff, then shelling out money slows down...unless you are like me and constantly upgrade stuff. My point is its a lot up front but it wont always be that way.

Its starting to come together for sure! I would continue to add branches and plants. I attach my branches and plant pots to corrugated plastic that I wrap around 3 sides of the enclosure (example pictures attached). Its a cheaper option but not the cheapest option. You could try this from Neptune, she put together her last cham's enclosure with fish line and sticks and it seems to be a pretty good method. If you can attach more branches for your girl to climb on you could also attach some potted plants to give her more places to hide and feel secure.
My thought is, if you can walk in and spot your chameleon easily, there isn't enough plants in there. I'll share a picture of one of my enclosures to give you an idea of what your girl will need for coverage.

Attachments

• IMG-6467.jpg
    IMG-6467.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-6469.jpg
    IMG-6469.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-7608.jpg
    IMG-7608.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 39
Oh man I know exactly what you mean. I don't even want to know how much I have spent on my chameleons in the last 3 months, let alone the last year and a half 🤣 . It adds up, but once you have all the right stuff, then shelling out money slows down...unless you are like me and constantly upgrade stuff. My point is its a lot up front but it wont always be that way.

Its starting to come together for sure! I would continue to add branches and plants. I attach my branches and plant pots to corrugated plastic that I wrap around 3 sides of the enclosure (example pictures attached). Its a cheaper option but not the cheapest option. You could try this from Neptune, she put together her last cham's enclosure with fish line and sticks and it seems to be a pretty good method. If you can attach more branches for your girl to climb on you could also attach some potted plants to give her more places to hide and feel secure.
My thought is, if you can walk in and spot your chameleon easily, there isn't enough plants in there. I'll share a picture of one of my enclosures to give you an idea of what your girl will need for coverage.
Omg I love this !!! Thank u!!! This answ
Until my plants filled out and I had more of them, I attached fake ones on the outside. If you have some then it’s a free way to provide some coverage. Just used a thin wire to attach them to the screen. It’s a good way to provide coverage when you don’t have real ones. Also you can use branches from outside to give her more little roads to climb around on. Just make sure they aren’t from a sap producing tree. Wash them with water and a little dawn and let them dry in the sun if you can.

I know I ended up spending way more than I thought when I first got started. But once you have everything, it’s not so bad. I order bugs once a month and watch for sales on the bulbs. On prime day they had the reptisun bulbs for 17 bucks. So just keep an eye out!
Once a month ? Where

Omg I love this !!! Thank u!!! This answ

Once a month ? Where
I order from dubiaroaches.com. My guy is an adult so he only eats every other day 3-4 bugs. I really recommend them. Someone here recommended them to me when I first started and I have only gotten my bugs from them since.

I order from dubiaroaches.com. My guy is an adult so he only eats every other day 3-4 bugs. I really recommend them. Someone here recommended them to me when I first started and I have only gotten my bugs from them since.
Wow thats awesome my girl is 6 months still trying to find out how much too feed

I order from dubia.com as well. I get a large bulk of bugs and order about every 3 months. It saves me money in shipping in the long run. I get my crickets from Josh's Frogs. My silks I get at Costal Silks.

@Beman how much would you feed a 6 month old female veiled?
This is what I recommend based off a friend of mines advice for females. She has used this and her females rarely lay with the temps being lower and reduced feeder intake.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6-7 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7-8 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces. The hotter the temp they more their metabolism speeds up so we have to keep the temp lower since we are doing lower food intake.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Back
Top Bottom