Help Needed Chameleon not eating

JordanD

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Ambilobe Panther, 6-12month(Pet shop did'nt know exact age), 2 weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once everyday (people wont like this but He loves being out and as a shower Daily which He loves)
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locust, Crickets, Meal Worms, Wax Worms, I use Bug Grub gut-loader, He normally eats 6-8 Locust/Crickets a day and Meal worms/Wax Worms occasionaly
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy + every feeding
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Big dripper most of the day, Mist three times a day for a couple minutes each time, Occasionally see him licking water off plants
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Normal Droppings with a white separate part
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Only had Him two weeks so not sure

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 100 Gal Flexarium
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia T5 12% in Arcadia Canopy, 100w Basking Bulb, on from 7am to 10pm everyday
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 90°F Basking spot 75°F bottom, Digital Thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50% average 70%+ after misting, digital hygrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? two Ficus, one Schefflera arboricola, three Bromeliad's
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In My Bedroom, next to window, on top of chest of draws and Bearded Dragon Vivarium so highest it could be
Location - Where are you geographically located? Devon, England, UK

Current Problem - He isn't showing interest in eating, hasn't eaten since two/three days ago? getting a bit worried now He's My first Chameleon will He be ok?

Please post some pictures of your little man. If he's of good weight he could just be tired of so much food all the time. With a healthy chameleon by this age I only feed every other day. If he's on the thin side then I'd higly recommed a fecal. He could have parasites. If he were mine I'd lower the basking temps a bit. I keep panthers basking spots at 85 to 86.

Also, Since I've not heard of your lighting, do you have a UVB light?

He could be molting, as chameleons dont show much interest in food when they molt. mine just did and he has finished molting and is back to eating normally. They can go awhile without food. mines just the same age as yours if your guess is right. If it is molting he could not eat for 2 weeks atleast depending on how long it takes him to molt. He may do molting in some spots or his whole body. If he looks healthy and is moving around fine then it could be molting or he has got bored with the food. If you try any other source of food and he still doesnt eat, id say wait a couple days and if white splotches turn up, he is molting! :D

Is 7am-10pm for the lighting ok for a panther cham? i've always heard 12 hours is best advised, but if I could have my lights on a little longer as I don't get back from work until after 8pm most nights, would be great to see him in the evening too =), I hope he starts to eat soon, would love to see some pics =)

Thank You all for Your replies I've got a deep bowl in His house with Locust, Crickets and Meal Worms in so He has got a wide choice but He isn't eating any of them. :(

Here are some Photo's, this is how I received Him I don't think He has Gained/Lost weight since two weeks ago. What do You think is wrong with Him does He look ok?

Thank You.

1qitch.jpg

311l56t.jpg

e0h75v.jpg

4jiit.jpg

Please post some pictures of your little man. If he's of good weight he could just be tired of so much food all the time. With a healthy chameleon by this age I only feed every other day. If he's on the thin side then I'd higly recommed a fecal. He could have parasites. If he were mine I'd lower the basking temps a bit. I keep panthers basking spots at 85 to 86.

Also, Since I've not heard of your lighting, do you have a UVB light?
I will lower the basking temperature thank You and My UVB Tube is a Arcadia T5 12% D3+ in the Arcadia Canopy with High performance aluminium reflector which is recommended for the Flexarium as it has really thick Mesh.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/products/vivarium-canopy-luminaire/

If you haven't changed anything and he is acting normal.. you may just have to wait a couple days. It isn't anything to worry about quite yet. I'm not sure if you can get them, but a horn worm ends any hunger strike with my chams.

Looks like a happy chameleon to me :D if he doesn't have a loose grip and off balance I say he isn't sick and if his droppings aren't runny. He doesn't have abnormal drinking right? He's getting water normally. Id say he's just about to molt.

He looks great! but im ot sure what could cause him to not be eating. Is he not under his light enough? because f the often handling?
Thank You very much, I only take Him out for 5 Minutes for a shower but I don't know it could be I guess, Ill make showers every other day see if He will start eating thank You for Your suggestion.

Thank You for Your replies every one, I'll see how it goes for a couple of days if no change I'll take Him to the vets. sadly We don't have Horned Worms in the UK I wanted to try Him with them but I think they are classed as pests, I don't see Him drink often but I have seen Him lick water off the leaves a couple times but that's all could that be the problem?

Maybe too much stress from being handled too much?
I know that (and being too cold) will make them stop eating.

I recommend taking out ALL food and don't even allow him to see a feeder for two days. Then offer one feeder and see if he eats. He looks good but they can still have parasites even when they look good so a fecal is always a good idea. I would also recommend turning his lights off earlier at night.

I will stop handling Him as much to see if He starts eating, Thank You very much Sam :) and ok I'll remove the feeders right now I hope this all works I don't want Him loosing weight :( Thank You everyone for the advice/comments.

Back
Top Bottom