Baby chameleon. Need some expert's to help me with basking temps and such.

Sammie618

https://www.chameleonforums.com/account/
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Veiled. Male. Not sure how old. Got 4 days ago

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Once

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

everymorning 9-13 small crickets. Gut loaded with repashy bug burger

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

zoo med repti calcium without D3 everyday

Zoo meds reptivite with D3 but i have yet to use it

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

dripper available all day i mist a half hr after lights off for 3 mins and i mist again a hald hr befor lights on for another 3 mins. I also fogger between 1:30am-6:00am. I havent seen him drink

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

poop is brown and moist. Urate is white. Has not been tested for parasites

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

No

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

screen reptibreeze 16x16x30. Will upgrade once he gets bigger.
3 sides are wrapped with a shower curtain and black poster board to help make him feel more secure

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

arcadia t5 ho 24w with 6% bulb and basking light is thrive essential basking spot bulb 75w.i also use a 60w thrive ceramic heat emitter at night lights on at 8am-8pm heat emitter on from 8pm-8am

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

daytime: cage floor is 70.1 mid cage is 79.6 basking spot 82.2

night it rages in the 70's some time in the mid to high 60's

i use digital thermometer/ hygrometer

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Humidity day is 30-35%
night is 80-100%
digital hygrometer
live plants

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

In my kitchen low traffic. Near a windown that is sleaded up for winter top of cage is above eye level

Location - Where are you geographically located?

New york capital region

Attachments

• 20231106_085304.jpg
    20231106_085304.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
No it is not unfortunately he passed away early in the morning. I was going to wait to get another but my dad surprised me with this little guy after seeing how upset I was.

Ok. Well, I can help you, but what all do you need to know? Since all you answered was the age of the chameleon, shall I assume you need help with everything?
*just noticed you filled in the form. Give me a bit and I’l, go thru it all. :)

I’ll be breaking this into two parts. I tend to talk a lot. 😁
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Veiled. Male. Are you sure? Does it have tarsal spurs (protruding nubs on it’s back feet) Not sure how old. Very young…maybe about 2 months old Got 4 days ago

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Once You don’t want to handle such a tiny one unless absolutely necessary. When he gets bigger though, it is important to build trust. This is a great blog on how to do that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Feeding
- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

everymorning 9-13 small crickets. With such a young baby, you need to be feeding twice a day for at least another month. Feed as much as baby will eat in about 15-20 minutes. Make sure the feeders are small enough. You may need to order them (check the forum sponsors for great venders) Right now variety may be limited by size, but it is best. You could probably get some small bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms). Gut loaded with repashy bug burger Good stuff. You could add some fresh produce like greens, veggies a touch of fruit. Attaching a couple of graphics to help guide you.

Supplements
- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

zoo med repti calcium without D3 everyday Perfect. You want to dust lightly. Try not to make your feeders look like powdered donuts.

Zoo meds reptivite with D3 but i have yet to use it You’ll want to use this for one feeding every other week.

Watering
- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

dripper available all day The enclosure needs to have the ability and time to dry out completely. Use the dripper for just 15-20 minutes per day. i mist a half hr after lights off for 3 mins and i mist again a hald hr befor lights on for another 3 mins. Perfect I also fogger between 1:30am-6:00am. I havent seen him drink Many chameleons are secretive about drinking. Look at the urate. All white or with a little bit of yellow on one end is good. All dark or orange is dehydrated.

Fecal
Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

poop is brown and moist. Urate is white. Has not been tested for parasites It’s always best to test. *unintentional rhyme

History
- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

@MissSkittles He has tursal surs I went to the pet store to get different bugs but most was to big. Thanks for the pictures they are very helpful my biggest concern right now is I have a space heater and it sucks when it kicks on thw temp in his cage goes up between 90 and sometimes 100 then it kicks off and 10-15. Minutes later the temp drops back down to normal I'm afraid it's going to cause a uri and that it's to hot of a basking area. at night it gets down to 60 with the stupid space heater so the ceramic heat emitter helps keep hit temps where they should. Unfortunately I have windows every where in my house Unfortunately

Last edited:
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

screen reptibreeze 16x16x30. Will upgrade once he gets bigger. Perfect for the upgrade. The minimum size is 2x2x4’. Of course, if you can go bigger, he would appreciate it. You may also want to think about https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ which make it sooo easy to hang branches and plants. Best to put them on before assembling the enclosure and currently on back order.
3 sides are wrapped with a shower curtain and black poster board to help make him feel more secure Ok. When you upgrade him, you may want to switch to a light shower curtain so it isn’t so dark for him.

Lighting
- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

arcadia t5 ho 24w with 6% bulb Excellent and basking light is thrive essential basking spot bulb 75w.i also use a 60w thrive ceramic heat emitter at night Why? Veileds can handle some chilly temps down to the 60’s and to be using a fogger at night to boost humidity, you want at least a drop down to 68-70. Heat plus high humidity increase risks for respiratory infection. lights on at 8am-8pm heat emitter on from 8pm-8am Perfect 12 hour schedule

Temperature
- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

daytime: cage floor is 70.1 mid cage is 79.6 basking spot 82.2 For little ones, you really don’t want basking temps to get any higher than 78-80. As he grows into an adult, his basking temp can be as high as 85.

night it rages in the 70's some time in the mid to high 60's See above

i use digital thermometer/ hygrometer Good

Humidity
- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Humidity day is 30-35% Excellent
night is 80-100% Again, see what I said above. Only boost this high if temps are below 68-70.
digital hygrometer
live plants Perfect. Veileds like to nibble at their plants so they need to be real, clean and safe. Pothos is your new bestie. :)

Placement
- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

In my kitchen low traffic. Near a windown that is sleaded up for winter top of cage is above eye level For chameleons, height is safety. They prefer to be able to look down at their world. Do be careful being near a window. While they are curious and love having a good view, in summer they can get overheated from the sun shining through and in winter there might be drafts.

New york capital region

Back
Top Bottom