Help, I Think He's Shedding!

MCSEB

Hi everyone!
So this morning I woke up and I went to go check on Reptar like I normally do every morning. I saw that he was rubbing his head actually rubbing one of his eyes against one of the branches and it worried me. Then I opened his cage to go check up on him and see whats up and I saw one of his eyes had somewhat like white skin or something white around it. So, I'm guessing he is shedding right? How long does it normally last and what am I supposed to do and what should I expect? This morning he ate about 12 crickets off my hand with no problem. This is my first time ever experiencing shedding. Thanks for your time everyone and here are a few pictures.

photo1-2_zpsd52e058f.jpg
[/IMG]

photo2-2_zps9742e152.jpg
[/IMG]

Snapshot2013-02-1110-00-55_zpse03e3427.jpg
[/IMG]

He's shedding. He'll rub against things to rid himself of the old skin. Most chameleons shed in patches instead of one large piece like snakes. Some Chams Shed in larger patches. Keep his humidity levels up and make sure he's well hydrated.

Should be complete in about a week more or less.

looks like shed to me!
Mine just started too. try to get some extra misting going on, and it will speed up the process, and with good humidity it will ensure non gets left on.
I think it's normal for them to rub stuff,
as sheding is uncomfortable, and they work away at getting the dead skin off. ;)

Yup, congrats, Reptar is shedding. This is a sign of a healthy and growing chameleon! It should only take a day or two at his age. If possible up the humidity and mistings for him. The rubbing you encountered is totally normal.

Just a tip (no offense): I would be a little worried about the jagged screen at the top of your cage where you suspend your plant (his eye being awfully close to some sharp wires in the first two pics). I suggest you redesign how you hang the plant to be safe. I hang my plants from a bamboo stick that rests on the top of the cage. I use a t-nut or washer to seal the hole, and use a zip tie or two to connect the hanger to the bamboo. I cut off the "hook" part of the plant hanger.

IMG_20130202_095640.jpg

He's shedding. He'll rub against things to rid himself of the old skin. Most chameleons shed in patches instead of one large piece like snakes. Some Chams Shed in larger patches. Keep his humidity levels up and make sure he's well hydrated.

Should be complete in about a week more or less.

Cool I'm glad! Thanks for the tips I appreciate it :)

looks like shed to me!
Mine just started too. try to get some extra misting going on, and it will speed up the process, and with good humidity it will ensure non gets left on.
I think it's normal for them to rub stuff,
as sheding is uncomfortable, and they work away at getting the dead skin off. ;)

Alright thank you so much! I just saw yours too. Hey if I knew anything about shedding, I would help you out, but right now I'm totally lost :confused:
Good luck with your cham though :D

Yup, congrats, Reptar is shedding. This is a sign of a healthy and growing chameleon! It should only take a day or two at his age. If possible up the humidity and mistings for him. The rubbing you encountered is totally normal.

Just a tip (no offense): I would be a little worried about the jagged screen at the top of your cage where you suspend your plant (his eye being awfully close to some sharp wires in the first two pics). I suggest you redesign how you hang the plant to be safe. I hang my plants from a bamboo stick that rests on the top of the cage. I use a t-nut or washer to seal the hole, and use a zip tie or two to connect the hanger to the bamboo. I cut off the "hook" part of the plant hanger.

IMG_20130202_095640.jpg

I'm glad thank you! I'm very excited haha. Hey don't worry about it. He's getting a little bigger now so I'm going to have to rearrange his cage up a little and remove some branches too. Those wires are kind of new though and I know what you mean. I was going to rearrange his cage this weekend but I'll do it this upcoming weekend. Don't worry, he barely hangs out around that area anymore. Now he likes to bask and be under the branches of the basking spot haha.

definatly just a shed and he will rub things just make sure he doesn't over due it and cause abrasions. on another note his eyes look a little sunken from the veileds ive seen. it may just be the picture illusion. none the less during a shed raise the humidity up a notch or two and add another misting in there and make sure his dripper is runnin allll day long... least to an hr before lights out.. awesome looking dude!!!!

Grassy, I tend to agree with the suggestion of getting those wires cut. Even though Reptar may not bask there now, he may not send you the memo if he changes his mind during the week and decides to hang out there. If the wires are poking down, there is a distinct possibility that he'll poke his eye(s) and trust me, you don't want a young cham with eye problems. My older man has had eye problems from a young age and I have to clean his eyes every morning and usually once or twice during the day and I hand feed him all the time. It is no fun fighting eye issues for either you or your cham!!

As far as shedding goes, it can vary. Sometimes a cham will 'explode' into a full body shed within an hour of observing him, and be done with it fairly quickly, or it can be a partial shed that can take a week or two, depending on which body part is shedding. As suggested, keep Reptar very well hydrated with warm water (this helps the skin separate from the body quicker) and jack the humidity up a couple %'s. One more thing, you MUST resist trying to help him get the skin off. Don't peel or pull - it can hurt your guy and that is never a good way to gain trust in your friend.

Otherwise Reptar looks good! Good luck with his first shed and have a GREAAAT day!! :D

SEB, I noticed in your pics a spot in the upper right corner where the screen
is broken and wire is exposed.
You need to trim and fix that ASAP or your cham is likely to suffer a puncture
wound.
You could cut it neatly and duct tape both sided, or trim the fraid wire and
apply some hot-glue to smooth it out.

Please do it right away!! I got really nervous when I saw that.

Regarding the cut wire, instead of cutting down, I like to cut upwards leaving the exposed wire facing the outside of the cage. Then you only have to tape the bottom.

definatly just a shed and he will rub things just make sure he doesn't over due it and cause abrasions. on another note his eyes look a little sunken from the veileds ive seen. it may just be the picture illusion. none the less during a shed raise the humidity up a notch or two and add another misting in there and make sure his dripper is runnin allll day long... least to an hr before lights out.. awesome looking dude!!!!

Okay thanks for the tips I appreciate it! Yeah he's starting to shed everywhere already. I just got back from work.

Grassy, I tend to agree with the suggestion of getting those wires cut. Even though Reptar may not bask there now, he may not send you the memo if he changes his mind during the week and decides to hang out there. If the wires are poking down, there is a distinct possibility that he'll poke his eye(s) and trust me, you don't want a young cham with eye problems. My older man has had eye problems from a young age and I have to clean his eyes every morning and usually once or twice during the day and I hand feed him all the time. It is no fun fighting eye issues for either you or your cham!!

As far as shedding goes, it can vary. Sometimes a cham will 'explode' into a full body shed within an hour of observing him, and be done with it fairly quickly, or it can be a partial shed that can take a week or two, depending on which body part is shedding. As suggested, keep Reptar very well hydrated with warm water (this helps the skin separate from the body quicker) and jack the humidity up a couple %'s. One more thing, you MUST resist trying to help him get the skin off. Don't peel or pull - it can hurt your guy and that is never a good way to gain trust in your friend.

Otherwise Reptar looks good! Good luck with his first shed and have a GREAAAT day!! :D

hey mommy thank you!! No don't worry i am going to fix that. I am going to have to rearrange his cage a little. I just got back from work and his full body is shedding already

SEB, I noticed in your pics a spot in the upper right corner where the screen
is broken and wire is exposed.
You need to trim and fix that ASAP or your cham is likely to suffer a puncture
wound.
You could cut it neatly and duct tape both sided, or trim the fraid wire and
apply some hot-glue to smooth it out.

Please do it right away!! I got really nervous when I saw that.

Don't worry, I'll fix that!! Haha :p

Back
Top Bottom