Help cricket infestation!!

tryme

Okay so basically we all know when feeding we get a few escapies. Well I thought nothing of it when a few got away eventually I gave up trying to chase them. The past two nights I heard lots of churping and was looking for ages. I tore up my carpet in the corner of my room and found one big one churping away. I caught him and killed him. The bad news is, about 5 ran right under my skirting board and I have no idea how to get them out or kill them. I was thinking though. Is there a way I can kill them (I know you can leave a plate of jam/jelly lol out for wasps and they get stuck in it, could you do the same with jam or honey?) and also, will they eventually die off and no babies will be born as they wont have any where to lay? The thing is it's dark and warm down there and I have no idea what they are living off, prob dead skin and crumbs!

I read about someone on the forum being clever and sitting out in the middle of a totally dark room with a desk lamp on, shining onto the floor.

The crickets are attracted to it for some reasona nd you can just snatch them and toss them into your bin.

On another note, I have found a couple of turkistan and lobster roaches around. Oh God, please help! How do I eradicate the escapees?

I am pretty sure they will die. They need moist soil or something like that to lay their eggs. Based on the difficulty of breeding them, I wouldn't worry about them reproducing. They will probably die off in a few days.

Think nothing of the loose crickets-think of the big well-fed spiders that will move in to feast! :)

A few escapees I would not worry about.

I thought that we might have a whole in our cage because we would find 5 or so crickets hopping around our apartment when we got home each day, turns out the zipper of the flexarium was not closing all the way, once we fixed it they disappeared within a week or so.

Someone on the forum a while back recommended getting a few house geckos and releasing them into the house. Those guys will hunt pretty much any bug you have living in your house, and they will even get the ones you don't know are there. I thought that was great idea when I heard it.

I accidentally let a bunch of roach nymphs loose (tripped while carrying)
I put down a sticky trap that was made for catching bugs and mice. Smells a bit like peanut butter. Flat thing, that you place on the floor under something like the sofa or baseboard heater. Never caught a single roach that way, but gosh did the escaped crickets ever like it. Its kinda like fly paper for the floor bugs.

My living room floor sometimes looks like a battleground. A casualty here, a casualty there. I never worry too much about escapees, since the don't seem to live very long and are dead by the time I notice them. Somehow they manage to squeeze out of some of my cages and I am always amazed at how crafty they are. Those crickets may have avoided being eaten, but they can't seem to avoid dying off anyway.

Someone on the forum a while back recommended getting a few house geckos and releasing them into the house. Those guys will hunt pretty much any bug you have living in your house, and they will even get the ones you don't know are there. I thought that was great idea when I heard it.

No wonder my family in the philippines have em runnin on the walls in their house... lol. they don't have any little insects runnin around... but they sure do have mosquitos... if only they had flying geckos now. haha. I had tons of fun catching them while i was there.

chirp chirp chirp! HEY WAKE UP!!!! CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP

Don't worry
the crickets will escape and roam around for a bit of time
they'll be unable to breed without moist soil to lay their eggs into.
so keep an eye on your potted plants.. they may try digging in there.
usually the adults will die long before successful mating so it's not a
"real problem" to freak out over.

I've had a box with a few thousand sitting in my living room
for a few days last year.... yup... you guessed it
the little boogers chewed a hole right through the cardboard.
it was a mass prison escape

I came home to hundreds of those little SOB's running
amuck all over my house. :rolleyes:
You can do a good job cleaning them up
with a vacuum (long hose attachment)
keeping your floors clean will deny them any food
and they'll die off quickly from dehydration or sickness.

The heat lamp is a nice idea but unessary in my opinion
as is the bait traps
best to ket them die from starvation and vacuum the carpets.

Oh, word of advise.... take the cricket container OUTSIDE
BEFORE you bag your feeders for dusting.
This summer everyone in the neighborhood went to bed
to the sounds of chirping escapees.
better having "wild crickets" vs a full on chirping war
INSIDE your home all night long from "domesticated crickets".

What do you do with all the Gecko feces all over the house after they deficate? Let roaches loose to eat it up? lol :eek: ;)

Living in So. Fla. We are the host to house geckos periodically along with anoles. Unfortunately they are too small to eat the crickets. Fortunately they don't last long.

lol its funny to me all this cricket and roach talk......guys thats all part of keeping these beautiful animals!!! i love the whole aspect of it. even the catching crikets in the middle of the night with a nightlight part of it. hahahahahahahahaha!:p

Back
Top Bottom