Help - ants!!!

your reptile room probably the most comfortable for them (humidity and temp) on top of that there are source of constant water as well (from the misting).
It only make sense for the ants to migrate close to your reptile room.
Plus, it also have soil available for them to start a new colony.
Oh One other thing:
When you decide to try the Feltiae method, make sure you ask the people who sell them if they mix the medium with chemical fertilizer.
Some company actually do that as marketing method.
You do not want to introduce chemical fertilizers into your chameleon cage period.

Thanks. We actually have 3 reptile rooms. Wonder why they haven't gone to the other 2. Maybe they're just starting in with this one first. :eek:

Yeah, I repot every plant in organic soil about 4 times per year just in case. You can never be too careful. Thanks!

Thanks. We actually have 3 reptile rooms. Wonder why they haven't gone to the other 2. Maybe they're just starting in with this one first. :eek:

Yeah, I repot every plant in organic soil about 4 times per year just in case. You can never be too careful. Thanks!

Actually, that is highly plausible.
Is this the first time the ants ever attacking in that number within the interior of your house?

Actually, that is highly plausible. I know - that's what I'm afraid of!!:eek:
Is this the first time the ants ever attacking in that number within the interior of your house?

Yes. I mean, when it becomes spring/summer and we start getting the really nice weather, I will see a couple here and there, but nothing to get worried over. But nothing like this - they were everywhere!!

Here's a nifty trick to keep them off of any racks or stands that have legs ( like standard iron aquarium stands ). Take used tuna cans ( or anything similar ) and place the legs into the cans. Fill the cans part way with oil. Ants, and other bugs, will not be able to cross this barrier. It wont work for fliers obviously..which brings me to my question.

I have been having an infestation of some kind of grain eating moth ( or its larvae, which look like really tiny waxworms, and aslo make silk, are eating the grain ). Eitherway any grain product that is not sealed in an airtight container gets infested. Anyone know what they could be and a people and herp safe way of getting rid of them?

I used to live on an ant hill...... its called; Costa Mesa, CA

They were CRAZY... they could get into ANYTHING and would swarm like there is noooo tomorrow.

When I moved near where Steve lives we didn't have too much issue with them... (even though they are a big problem in that area) dunno if being on the second floor had anything to do with it...

In Lake Forest I had ants carry off my first order of pin head crickets from LLL while the package sat on my door step. The next time they invaded they took over a ficus pot I would sun my veileds in. Jake (one of my veileds) noticed them......... and tasted some. Apparently he liked the taste and would sit there picking them off one by one for hours. After a couple of weeks worth of 'basking' the ants stopped coming by... dunno if he ate them all or they lost the trail or interest in the pot... but I seriously think he enjoyed that tree because of the ants.... and partially for the sun :D

Ant problem resolved.....for now!

In Lake Forest I had ants carry off my first order of pin head crickets from LLL while the package sat on my door step. The next time they invaded they took over a ficus pot I would sun my veileds in. Jake (one of my veileds) noticed them......... and tasted some. Apparently he liked the taste and would sit there picking them off one by one for hours. After a couple of weeks worth of 'basking' the ants stopped coming by... dunno if he ate them all or they lost the trail or interest in the pot... but I seriously think he enjoyed that tree because of the ants.... and partially for the sun :D

Yowza! :eek::eek: I bet that was fun for him!! I have seen the same ants outside here and there and I have seen them in our chams' outdoor trees, etc. and never minded them there. But seeing them in a swarm INSIDE the house ... I was freaking out b/c we've never had that before!

Thanks, guys, for all your input and suggestions!! I appreciate it! Well - they have gone as quickly as they came (for now...:)). My daughter followed their path down one of the racks across a small portion of the floor and down into the vent (this was only on the second story of our house if you can believe it). Where they went from there, I don't know. We killed the ones we could find and then are killing whatever is in the vent after we moved all the cages into a different room for the time being and totally scrubbed them and replaced any soil etc. just in case. As of this morning, I have seen only a couple. I still have no idea what they were after - nor do I care, as long as they are g-o-n-e. :D

Back
Top Bottom