gut loading? this may sound dumb

tagerlilly18

Hey guys this may sound dumb but I'm new to chams and would rather ask than have something go wrong with my little guy. I know gut loading is feeding your bugs good stuff and I was on the food and nutrition part about what foods are good for it. I've seen recipes and what not about dry mixes too and putting fruits and veggies in a dicer. I'm just a bit confused about it. Do I sprinkle the dry mix on like a carrot and fit that to them? Or dice up certain vegetables then mix the dry stuff in with it? Then there's commercial mixes. Do I just dump some of that in the cricket cage? Or put it on vegetables? I'm sure this is a really simple thing I'm just totally in the dark about it.

You don't have to mix the stuff.

I use Repashy's Superload gutload 24-48 hrs prior to feeding the bugs to my herps. It's a dry powder. I have a special "deathrow" cricket keeper that my doomed crickets stay in that has the Repashy's powder in a little dish. This gutload is more expensive than the cheap fluker's cricket food but it really brings out the colors in my animals. Brighter coloration generally means that their immune system is stronger.

Oh, also you can use carrots or other veggies as the water source for the crickets, but the actual gutload (Repashy's in my case) is the most important part. I add grapes to one side of the cricket keeper and a dish of Repashy's to the other side. I don't mix dry gutload with the grapes.

I just use the food/water spirulina gut load for my feeder crickets. It's just easier for me since I order crickets by the 1000's, but if you want to take the time to properly gut load them then, go ahead and chop up some carrots (diced) and you might soak them in water over night. You can then add some dry gut load in a small dish (I sometimes use the tops of the plastic cups that my superworms come in. Just remember crickets need a constant source of water that they will not drown in (which is what the carrots are for) or you can use a sponge in a small bowl, just make sure there's no way for the crickets to crawl in between the bowl and the sponge. Also, it's not very nutritious, and not really a way to gut load your crickets, but lettuce will keep them fed and watered.

I put the veggies/ fruits/ greens on a plastic lid and then sprinkle the dry on top. I also put some dry on the side.

You are welcome to get the Fluker's. They're a good product. Repashy also makes a product that you add water to yourself and put it in the microwave. It smells like oatmeal and has the consistency of cat food. They make it from different vegetables. I like it because I can add Calcium + D3 and Vitamin powder to it, just to make sure my crickets have extra nutrients. There's no science behind the madness, saying that it makes them better. It just makes my mind at ease knowing I'm trying to give my reptiles the healthiest food possible.

You are welcome to get the Fluker's. They're a good product. Repashy also makes a product that you add water to yourself and put it in the microwave. It smells like oatmeal and has the consistency of cat food. They make it from different vegetables. I like it because I can add Calcium + D3 and Vitamin powder to it, just to make sure my crickets have extra nutrients. There's no science behind the madness, saying that it makes them better. It just makes my mind at ease knowing I'm trying to give my reptiles the healthiest food possible.

You think it smells like oat meal? I'd say more like.....I don't know lol but I like the smell of oat meal and think the bug burger stinks lol

Back
Top Bottom