Growth rates

sixstring

I have two female Ambilobes born just a couple days apart. They are about 4 months old now and one of them is twice the size of the other one. They are being housed exactly the same (cage, plant, temps, decor, ect), and being offered the same amount of food. Obviously the larger one eats bigger roaches and what not. It seems like the smaller one is not as "confident" or "bold" in how she moves and is somewhat shy, but very healthy. The larger one has puffed up on me a couple times but would rather "walk" away than slowly creep away when I get close to the enclosure, spray, or feed. Its amazing that these two are the same age from the same clutch. How normal is this, and if so how long until the smaller one catches up? Thanks

Some just take longer. I have a male sambava that was less than 20 grams until he was 7 months old. He is now a year old and still hasn't caught up, but he should be on his way. He's the same size/weight as another members 6 months old. He's only 75-80 grams right now.

Edit: his possible girlfriend is also really small. She is just 20 grams at 11 months old. If she gets bigger my boyfriend and I may eventually breed them, but only if she is big enough to handle eggs. Who knows, we might get delayed growth panthers or mini panthers :)

She is literally about twice the size though, its hard to believe the size difference can be that much. I've bred plenty of snakes and monitors and I've never seen anything like it. I keep thinking in the back of my head that something is wrong, but it sounds like that is not the case. Glad I asked. Thanks fro the replies.

Lol, Hyperion was 1/3 the size of a 'normal' panther at 6-7 months and his girlfriend's size is even more of a gap right now compared to 'normal' panthers. Some girls hit 60 grams at 8-10 months, so she's super small!

She is literally about twice the size though, its hard to believe the size difference can be that much. I've bred plenty of snakes and monitors and I've never seen anything like it. I keep thinking in the back of my head that something is wrong, but it sounds like that is not the case. Glad I asked. Thanks fro the replies.

It is normal.

It will be exiting to see the small one hit her little growth spurt. I have only seen a few other panthers, but the 6 month female I saw not all that much bigger than my big female. I think she will be a big one. Hard to say given my limited experience with this species though, but she is a strong one. Darwin would be proud....

Back
Top Bottom