Great Pyrenees and King Shepherd

Too cute!!!

I know I already commented on instagram but its much easier to type on my computer.

You seem to like the fluffy breeds lol (so do I). If you're going to get them from a breeder, you're probably going to pay a pretty penny for either breed. So since you're paying a lot of money anyways, make sure they have both parents have had their hips checked. Most reputable breeders will show you a certificate to prove their hips are okay. You also must see at least one of the parents to see their temperament.

Pick a...
Great Pyrenees- If you're okay with a breed that's not going to be performing tricks, constantly wanting to please. You're okay with drool (some do not but most do). Love that white gorgeous coat. But can also groom that beautiful coat (if you do not brush this coat, it will mat, mats are painful to the dog as it tugs on the skin). Will probably need to live indoors since your area can get hot (they do better in cooler climates). A chain or brick wall fence is recommended since they can break through a wooden one. Have a car large enough to fit this dog once it's full grown. Also, tends to be nocturnal since it's job was to guard flocks. They also tend to be aloof.

King Shepherd- If you want a trainable working dog, intelligent and big. Can provide adequate exercise and activities. Dogs that were meant to work can develop "bad" habits if there are no mental stimuli to keep them busy. Important to consider if everyone is out of the house for 8+ hours a day. This dog also requires a strong fence like the Great Pyrenees and a large car. This breed is also fairly new.

Both require regular brushing, a bath once a month (or sooner if really dirty). I don't recommend shaving dogs with a double coat because the undercoat traps cooler air and keeps them cool in the summer AND I think they look ridiculous when shaved. IMOP GP do not really have the "dog smell." Both are great watch dogs and great dogs in general. Both are good with children but I would trust a GP more with younger children (this of course is my personal opinion).

Good stuff, Angela! Thanks for the great info! I've always heard about GP's being trustworthy, even around newborns. This is what attracted me to them years ago. Well, that and they're so huge and fluffy! I love how the puppies look like lil polar bears! :D

I love pyrenees mountains dogs, they'd be my first choice BUT I worked at a kennels for a brief time & they had 2 pyrenees of their own plus 1 boarding. The one boarding was eldery with hip problems, he had a belt around his waist so you could hoist him onto his feet, a bit sad. The 2 resident pyrenees were rather large for indoors & spent most their time in the large play enclosures intended to give the guests some play time. I don't know if the hip thing is something common with this breed but I always feel that's worth bearing that in mind if you get a pure-breed, they often suffer specific problems. Also, larger dogs have shorter life-spans, 10 years at the most, but you could get another 6 years from a smaller dog.

Still, if you do decide to get one, I'll be green with envy :D

Both beautiful dogs but they will be so HOT! How about a lil hairless Chinese Crested? They are very manly dogs;) Lol, This is Nico with Fuego. My husband refuses to be seen in public with him!

Attachments

• DSC00659.JPG
    DSC00659.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom