Getting my first Chameleon on monday, need a couple things cleared up..

kronikcurt

I am getting a 5 month old male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon (I believe its a Blue Bar).The breeder is selling him as a package that comes with most the fixings.

The cage is 4 ft tall by 2 ft wide and 2 ft deep. It is a full screen cage.
The Fluorescent UVB light fixture is an 18inch, 5.0 linear tube light. There is also a 50 watt noma frosted basking dome light, (i will be buying replacement bulbs for both lights).

The plant is a pothos and he's throwing in some fake greenery too. Im buying an umbrella tree (Schefflera arboricola) and probably another pathos along with some organic soil. Also more fake vines and wood for him to climb on.

Also getting two thermometers, hygrometer, water dripper, Pressurized Spray Bottle

Is a 5.0 UVB Fluorescent bulb strong enough for a cage that large, or should i upgrade to the 10.0?

Would buying a second basking dome light be overkill? and will a 50 Watt bulb be enough?

Do i have enough greenery, and should i buy a 6000k-6500k light for the live plants? Will this light harm the Cham in any way or change his environment?

Do i need any suppliments other than the calcium powder(no D3) and multivitamin with D3?

sorry for the 20 questions, just wanna make sure i have absolutely everything he needs so that the move will be as stress free as possible.
Thanks.

Attachments

• CHAMELEON4month.jpg
    CHAMELEON4month.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to the forums and congrats on that little cutie coming to live with you. As long as you have some branches near the top of the cage, about 7 inches down so he want get a burn, those lights will be fine although on a cage that big a 24 inch strip might be better. The Reptisun 5.0 is highly recommend here on the forums. You could get a 24 inch duel fixture and have the UVB in one side and the plant light in the other. I recommend a digital temp gun. Knowing the accurate temps is very important. If you are using the Reptivite with D3 that takes care of the multi vit. including the A and the D-3 so the only other supplement you need is the Calcium without D-3. You might find my blog for new keepers helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hey, Welcome to the forums! :) First about the lights. If you don't know how old the UVB bulb is I would change it right away. They will generally only last about 6 months. As for the 10.0, that would be fine, especially if you are going to be adding that much greenery. You may want to look into a dual fixture that houses a UVB and 6500k tube. (I prefer the arcadia T5 HO type. The bulbs last longer and the enclosure will be so much brighter!) It will not harm your cham to have that much light. You should have enough foliage to give him a break when needed. You don't need two basking bulbs, but some do have that. (I have a little wider enclosure and have two basking sites at different temps. My veiled generally just uses the one.)
I would always recommend having two hygrometers along with the two thermometers. If one fails you will know by the drastically different readings.
Best of luck with your new friend!
Again, Welcome to the forums! :D

Back
Top Bottom