gaping for air

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think me and you like the same kind of avatars

Well...As a red blooded male I dont take offense to it at all, but some might. :)

Yeah re temps, Id say from 6-7 months on 85-90 basking spot should be fine.
I gradually bumped mine up from around 4 months, by around 2degrees a time, but I was changing cages/equipment at the time etc.

So long as the source is far enough from the top of the cage so that if an inqusitive lizard climbs on the ceiling, it can't get a burn, then its not a huge issue. Temperature varies from branch to branch in the wild, thermoregulation is all about adaption. If its a mite cooler, the lizard basks a little longer to reach the desired temp.
A little cooler is probly safer than a little hotter.
Main temp issue is with very young (read very small) lizards, since they have less thermal mass they will overheat alot faster. They dont have the brains always, to get out of the heat, and sit there gaping under the heat bulb.

Ive found over the last 13 months with my veiled, he often basks soley for uv, so for this reason, I always ensure a place where he can Uv without the associated heat.

Meh. I'm a spoilsport. I've been called worse. :p I've had many complaints about that picture so I'm asking politely for ChamNation to change it.

Jo; my current signature is a personalized version of the song 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Give'r a search.

Ah ok. I havent really got into music for the last 20 yrs or so, I prefer 'classic' stuff, gimme credence or floyd any day. :)

Just read the *cough* lyrics to that song, now I know why I havent bothered with 'Music' in so long :p Though I agree with its sentiment. Wheres the talent these days? :)

i just checked on my cham and its sleeping with its mouth about 1mm open......i have a feeling thats not such a good thing..........im worried..

any ideas??? comments???

He may have cut his mouth on the piece of substrate and it hurts to close or he may have a splinter. When he wakes I would consider trying to get his mouth open and shining a light down there to see if there is anything visible. You will need two people to do this.

I'm scared he's gonna bite me or something ...... He closed his mouth.... :)... If I were to try to opn his mouth.... How am I supposed to do it...????

Popsicle stick is your best bet, or hold him in one hand close to you and pinch the sides of his mouth gently, he should open up. Bites do not hurt very much anyways.

I hate to say it but I think you need to take it to the vet to try to determine if it did swallow some bark and can't pass it.

Sleeping with an open mouth is generally not a normal thing, no.
I assume its perched near the top of the cage? If you have night heating, Id suggest switching it off, or setting it with a thermostat to a lower temp, may be overheating the lizard.
Second possibility that comes to mind is the beginings of a respitory infection. If no bubbles from nose or mouth, or no obvious sound while its breathing, sides dont heave with every few breaths, Then maybe rule that out.
Third possibility is simply shed skin stuck in its nostrils making breathing difficult, or for that matter, a build up of salts/calcium in the nostrils. No white stuff? Rule that out.
Fourth possibility (and perhaps worst) is that its developing MBD and its jaws dont meet neatly anymore? Check this while its awake tomorrow.
Lastly is perhaps a slight sore mouth, perhaps accompanied by infection, from a sharp cricket leg or something peircing the gum.
As advised you can look, but please be very gentle. Its too easy to apply too much force and damage the jaws. If your not confidant, get help.

Ofcourse if this is all only since the bark thing yesterday, then none of the above, except the first
& last, probly apply. My guess is the first. :)

idk what to freakin do......i dont want to take him to the vet because i dont have that kind of money....its gonna cost me a lot to take him to the vet.....idk what to do........

Well you had enough money to buy a panther.... So, you should have set aside money for the vet. They aren't exactly inexpensive animals. If he ate some bark and can't pass it, it could be deadly.

I did buy a panther but did not set ANY money aside for the vet because I didn't plan for a problem like this ........ I need to see some poo right... Important thing is the cam is pooing regularly..... He pood in the morning once .....

If he's sleeping with his mouth open there is probably something wrong. A vet visit is in order, work out a payment plan with the vet.

terrarium... its open from the top.....btw i got some really good news.

i had the cham in my hands and feel something kinda warm on my finger......turns out he took a shit on my hand and shit 2 more times as soon as he went in the terrarium......

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOIII

if a visit to the vet is going to cost more than the chameleon ill just toss it out and buy a new one.

thats the more practical solution in my opinion.....

That attitude is crap, is that what you do with babies? Your not going to get very far with that attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom