Fogger on all day?

izzy05

I just got my Jacksons 2 days ago and ive kept the fogger on all day/night. He doesnt seem to have a problem with it. The reason I do that is because I do not have a live plant yet, (dont know where to get one that they havent sprayed down with pesticides) I plan on getting one as soon as I can find a place that doesnt use pesticides. I also spray the cage down around 3-5 times aday, depending on the humidity level. Is it bad to keep the fogger on 24/7????

Also, if anyone knows a place where I can get a live plant that doesnt have pesticides on it, let me know please :)

Leaving the fogger on all day (this is an ultrasonic humidifier, or one of those in-tank reptile fogger do-dads?) my primary concern would be mold growth, but it really depends on the situation. If the vapor is rapidly being dissipated into the air and is not keeping things constantly damp, ok. If it's keeping conditions constantly damp, it's a recipe for problems. We want moderate to high humidity, but we don't want damp, moldy conditions. Wet for a bit which dries thoroughly before watering again is fine.

That's a horrible idea. Stop the fogging at night time PRONTO! Day time is one thing, night time is another, but both :eek:!!! MistKing 3-5 times a day for a couple minutes is suffice. Try that, or just hand mist. Please for the sake of your Cham!

Sorry if I came across as rude. My apologies, just take care of that. Set the fogger to go off a couple times throughout the day. NEVER throughout the night.

Hi!
Can you set your fogger to just operate a few minutes every hour? I don't think you want it to go 24/7.

However, I do not think having it go off at night is a serious problem. The idea that it never rains or gets foggy at night where chameleons live is just silly.

I dont know how to set it like a timer. Ive got the reptifogger from petsmart, any ideas on how.i can fix this?

if it has no timer function you can just buy a timer that plugs into your wall socket then you plug the fogger into the timer. very simple and very cheap. any hardware DIY or electric place will have them.

I've got my fogger set to come on 4 times a day for an hr each, starting a half hr after the lights go on and stopping an hr before they go off: Get yourself a mechanical 24hr timer, leave the mister on and just let the timer turn it off/on whenever you want.

I've got my fogger hooked up to a digital humidity guage so it kicks on and off when needed throughout the day and night to keep my Panther chameleons' habitat at 70%-75% humidity.

I've got my fogger hooked up to a digital humidity guage so it kicks on and off when needed throughout the day and night to keep my Panther chameleons' habitat at 70%-75% humidity.
Hi there. That would be too high for daytime humidity. And fogging during the day when lights are on can lead to them developing a respiratory infection.

Here are a few links that will give you more info.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Fogging and misting are two separate things. The idea of fogging all day and night is a bad idea in my opinion. I’m no expert on Jackson’s, and they tend to need more humid conditions, but I generally use floggers at night. Humidity levels generally rise as temps fall. I find it difficult to get that much of a temperature drop at night so often will add fogging as a way to mimic natural conditions. Misting like you do is probably OK, but I agree with allowing things to “dry out” between sessions. Perhaps @JacksJill has some input?

Hi there. That would be too high for daytime humidity. And fogging during the day when lights are on can lead to them developing a respiratory infection.

Here are a few links that will give you more info.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
I'm getting A LOT of mixed opinions on fogging. Some are saying NEVER use fogger at night. While others such as Chameleon Academy are saying NEVER during the day and only use at night.

I'm getting A LOT of mixed opinions on fogging. Some are saying NEVER use fogger at night. While others such as Chameleon Academy are saying NEVER during the day and only use at night.
Consider the sources, and that the beginning of this thread was from over 10 years ago.

I have a male panther, and with judicious misting, I don't need or use a fogger or dripper; I do mist a few times at night, which keeps nighttime humidity on target.

Every situation, chameleon, and enclosure is different. What's important, IMO, is getting the temps & RH on target without risk to the chameleon's health.

Understable. I work nightshift so am unable to mist at night. I do manually mist during daytime tho before going to work.

@jdgray26 personally, I would hook up the fogger on digital timer and only let it run during your lights off period. Giving the enclosure a good misting before going to work and after coming back from work, should be sufficient enough in combination with the nightly fogging. Using the fogger 24/7 will eventually cause a RI. The mixed opinions are fogger or no fogger, but as far as I know day or night isn´t a discussion. During the day, humidity shouldn´t go above 50% and during the night it should go up to 70 till 100%. Especially if you don´t have a decent (which I don´t know) airflow inside your enclosure, this high humidity will eventually cause troubles, directly (RI) or indirectly (mold / bacteria).

@jdgray26 personally, I would hook up the fogger on digital timer and only let it run during your lights off period. Giving the enclosure a good misting before going to work and after coming back from work, should be sufficient enough in combination with the nightly fogging. Using the fogger 24/7 will eventually cause a RI. The mixed opinions are fogger or no fogger, but as far as I know day or night isn´t a discussion. During the day, humidity shouldn´t go above 50% and during the night it should go up to 70 till 100%. Especially if you don´t have a decent (which I don´t know) airflow inside your enclosure, this high humidity will eventually cause troubles, directly (RI) or indirectly (mold / bacteria).
Thank you all for the input! It has been very helpful. 🙂

As for the plants I get all of mine at DIY stores and clean them up before putting them in the cage. Jackson's aren't plant eaters like veiled, so a mild soap and water wash of the leaves and stems (thorough rinse) with replacement of the top couple inches of soil with some organic potting soil has always worked for me.
Jackson's don't need a super high daytime humidity. You can stay in the 40-50% range safely. If you start combining constant humidity with heat it can lead to health problems. Overnight you can go to the 80-100% range. Get a quality hygrometer the analog ones don't work well and will only tell you more from less.

I have my fogger go on at midnight and off at 5 am. my Jackson’s needs it in the winter since the heater drys the air out terribly and the fogger brings the humidity up to 80%. My night time temps are in the 63-65 degree range. I think foggers are really important with Jackson’s but only at night.

Back
Top Bottom