First time chameleon eggs hatching - Need some advice

JakePasquill

Hey, I have had my first ever clutch of chameleon eggs incubated for roughly 5 or 6 months now and are being checked weekly.

During my weekly check (today), I noticed a shriveled egg with a flat sort of sticky substance a centimeter or so away with a dead chameleon in it.

I carefully took the chameleon out of the substance and inspected it closer to see whether it was fully developed or an early hatch.

It seems it hatched from the egg but could not escape from whatever it had around it and suffocated.

The eggs are now quite large compared to when they were laid and are all going a grey sort of clear colour. Some are white with 'windows' and others look like they are semi-opaque.

Is this normal for the majority of eggs? They aren't soft, but they are far from being perfectly white like a lot of the pictures I have seen of hatching chameleons.

Here are some pictures as I'm not sure whether there is a problem with most of my eggs, I am hoping someone can clear things up for me.

null_zps569cea56.jpg

null_zps322a1abb.jpg

null_zpsc51b6d92.jpg

The chameleon hatched from the lot in picture 3.

I know the chameleon eggs are also too close together, I didn't realise how fast they were growing and all of a sudden, they are huge. I want to move them into larger tubs but I don't want to disturb them in case they are ready to hatch.

I also know about the 3 not so great looking eggs too but I won't throw them as they aren't mouldy.

Thank you for the help.

First, what species?

From what I can tell, I think most of your eggs look pretty good...With the not so good looking ones, if they aren't moldy or badly discolored I would say you can leave them...they may hatch and they may not...at least you gave them the chance. :)

Just keep a closer eye on them (more often than your weekly)

I wouldn't move them at this point, once again my opinion, but I would check them more regularly now. You are getting to the point that they will be ready to come out soon depending on the species of chameleon...

They are veiled. I will be checking them twice daily now to keep an eye on progress. I will leave them as they are if they are looking okay. Does it matter that they aren't white in colour?

Back
Top Bottom