First Chameleon. Need some help.

mychamtini112012

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
6-8 month old veiled chameleon female. She's been in my care for five days.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never, she doesn't like to be handled.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed her five-eight small crickets everyday in the morning. I gut-load them with apples and carrots.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Flucker's Calcium with Vitamin D3 and they're all dusted with it before. This is what they told me at Petsmart, there isn't much there.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist her cage about four or five times a day for about two minutes. I see her drinking a little. Not being able to see her drink makes me nervous so I take a clean dropper and drop water in her mouth.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? They are white and brown. Not that I know of.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
A 20 gallon glass cage.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? All living things 75w bulb is on from 7a.m. to 8p.m. as well as a Zilla UVB and UVA bulb. When those lights go out at night I put on her heating pad.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? In her basking spot its around 82 and on the floor its in the mid 70's. I measure it with a small round reptile cage thermometer.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I need to get something to measure the humidity.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? She's in a corner in my room. Not next to any vents and its not a very high traffic area. During the day while I'm at school the door is closed and then after that I go in there a few times but she is away from the bed and closet.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Well, as I am new to this I need help to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I need ideas for supplements, the humidity, and where to get a new enclosure, the size of one, and what to put in it for my chameleon. I've done a lot of homework on them, but I want your guy's opinions as well. I'll probably be going shopping for her tomorrow to get some better stuff.

Welcome to the chameleon forums and congrat on your first cham. There's several things in your husbandry that you need to change. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers and I have links with pictures and where you can buy each item that you will need to keep your little one alive and healthy. Be sure to read the sections on lightling, supplements and temps. You need to really work on these. The second link below is for females because they can and often do lay eggs without a male even being around.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment1103

I buying different supplements tomorrow. And what exactly is wrong with the temps and lighting.? Like..is there something different I should buy or is the temperature to low or high.?

I'll defiantly be reading all of that before tomorrow.

I buying different supplements tomorrow. And what exactly is wrong with the temps and lighting.? Like..is there something different I should buy or is the temperature to low or high.?

I'll defiantly be reading all of that before tomorrow.

Taken right from the blog provided above.

You probably will not need a basking light right at first if he's young.....under 4 months old. He'll be so young he'll only need to bask at about 80 to 82 until 4 or 5 months old. Luie (my adult male veiled) bask at 88 or 89 for an adult panther 85. You can use a household bulb and you'll have to keep testing the temps. (25 to 40 watt or so). You will need a way to check your tepms. This is the temp gun that I use and it works great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-NO...76996846397009

Recommended cage size would be 36 to 48 inches high.

So it needs to be higher.? Its at about 82 right now and she's about eight months old.

Thanks. :D I was looking at a DIYcage I found.

82 is fine, she's close to egg bearing and a low temperature will prevent her from laying massive clutches (amounts of eggs)

Someone also said that feeding them every other day helped prevent them from laying eggs..? I don't know if this is true or not though..

I just want to start by saying that although you bought the pet before finding out what it needs, at least you are immediately doing the proper homework and not waiting for things to go wrong. Thank You!

Females will lay eggs regardless. You can limit her egg production by limiting her food intake somewhat, but if this is your first chameleon I wouldn't be *too* worried about that until you know how much she likes to eat everyday (and then you can adjust accordingly)

I keep my bask spot at 85 with the rest of the cage at 70-80....at night 10F drop (you might not need the heater unless its really cold, mabye in winter? i dont know how low your ambient/room temperatures drop)

Also make sure to get CALCIUM+D3 and MULTIVITAMIN supplements as well as you need those on every other sunday

I'm really trying to give hher my best and keep her healthy and happy. like i said, tomorrow ill be going shopping for supplements and more crickets. I'm ordering her enclosure soon. the man at PETCO said id probably kill her in three months. kinda upset me as I've been constantly looking up ways to make it better.

I'm a little worried about the laying eggs thing. is eight crickets a day good for her.?

the only reason why I put the heater there is because my room gets extremely cold at night. and the heater is just under the tank below her favorite branch to sleep on. in the summer it'll probably be turned off.

so i ffeed her those both every other Sunday.? and what do I dust them with the other days.?

and what are good things to put inside the enclosure.?

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
A 20 gallon glass cage.

Theres your problem right there. Get it out of a glass tank!

If you read my post before I had been looking for one, and she's officially been in a new screen cage for a month. She was only in the tank for two weeks. She loves her new cage. :)

Back
Top Bottom