Ficus benjamina vs Schefflera arboricola/trinette

I use aboricolas for my indoor cages. It's extremely easy to care for and grows very well under the Cham lights. I got mine from Walmart about 2.5 years ago and they are still going strong. Be careful not to overwater though. I really don't water mine with any regularity, just normal cage mistings and that has been fine.

I use Ficus Benj in both my indoor cages. The plant is easy to care for(water once a week) and also grows well under your standard 5.0uvb bulb.
The only thing I have been told to watch out for is the sap. If you cut back the plant and it begins to ooze, there is a possibility it could end up in your poor chams eye:( This can cause serious irritation and if your Cham is allergic, it can present a serious problem.

All in all I would recommend the ficus. My panther loves it. Just be careful with sap....

I use Ficus Benj in both my indoor cages. The plant is easy to care for(water once a week) and also grows well under your standard 5.0uvb bulb.
The only thing I have been told to watch out for is the sap. If you cut back the plant and it begins to ooze, there is a possibility it could end up in your poor chams eye:( This can cause serious irritation and if your Cham is allergic, it can present a serious problem.

All in all I would recommend the ficus. My panther loves it. Just be careful with sap....

ya the sap is a concern as i caught him chewing the leaves on his silk plants. so i think ill go with the umbrella tree.

Ficus are nearly impossible to find in my area, although I love the look and ease of them. I am fairly new to chameleons (kept some in the past, just starting back up) but I have used schieffleria for many Uroplatus species, which are kept very similar to many chameleons.

Ficus are nearly impossible to find in my area, although I love the look and ease of them. I am fairly new to chameleons (kept some in the past, just starting back up) but I have used schieffleria for many Uroplatus species, which are kept very similar to many chameleons.

so ive heard.. not as cool looking if u ask me. im into the prehensile tails not leaf tails lol

I use both but. I use the ficus for smaller or hatchling chams and scheffs for the bigger ones. I like the scheffs better because they hold puddles of water better than ficus. You want to make sure your pots have great drainage because neither plant likes to be watered a ton. I use a mix of 25% top soil and 75% sand for my pots.

I use both but. I use the ficus for smaller or hatchling chams and scheffs for the bigger ones. I like the scheffs better because they hold puddles of water better than ficus. You want to make sure your pots have great drainage because neither plant likes to be watered a ton. I use a mix of 25% top soil and 75% sand for my pots.

i heard they needed good drainage. 2 questions. would play sand work and if i elevated the pot, put some holes in the bottom and place a dish underneath would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom