Female Veiled Help-quick answer please!

spencer k

I have a 14 m.o. female veiled and she is showing the receptive colors like the turqoise dots, orange dots ect. she starting pawing at the bottom of her cage today, but i would like to breed her. is it too late to introduce the male if she might be thinking about laying? thanks!

If she is restless and pawing at the bottom of the cage, then it is likely that she is looking for a male to breed with.
Most females become restless when they are ready to breed.
Can you post a picture of her?
That way we can verify she is receptive and not gravid.

Thanks
Justin

unfortunatly my camera isnt working... she is bright green with small blue dots and just in the past week or two she has gotten some orange spots on her side and arms. she has been restless the past week not digging at the bottom but cruising around the cage trying to find a way out. dont they get the dark(black) spots when shes gravid?

Sounds like she is just looking for a male to breed with.
Be ready for her to possibly lay an infertile clutch of eggs.
They don't need to breed to lay eggs.
They only show the dark colors in the presence of a male.

Receptive Colors:
Breeding003.jpg

Gravid Colors(hissing and gaping at a male):
Chester057.jpg

Normal Colors:
Translucents027.jpg

my female looks EXACTLY like your receptive one apart from the translucent feet. same casque size ect lol. why would you think they will be infertile? do females not usually lay fertile eggs the first time? thanks again for all your help

Hey Spencer,

She'll let you know if its "too late to breed her". Let her see a male from a distance of a few feet, introduced as gently as possible. Maybe you can put their cages so thay can see each other, 3-4 feet apart. Then let them get closer. If she doesn't want him, she'll make it obvious. Providing you don't just put them together and allow what we call a "date rape" here, the female wil always let you know. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom