Gravid or not???

ChamMom3

Hello everyone

I need an urgent advice, I cannot figure out what is going on with my female ambilobe cham. She was paired on August 4th with a male, but she never turned really dark colors after that, would just darken somewhat, and not always. She started looking chunky, and probably about 5-6 days ago she stopped eating. I thought she might be getting ready to lay eggs (she had a laying bin in her cage for a while already), so I was looking for a digging behavior, but hasn’t seen any. I even tried to put her in a container with sand, she didn’t like it at all, but hadn’t tried to dig in there either.

Today she saw a vet, and they did an X-ray on her, and said she has “follicles“ inside her, but not eggs, but when I saw they image, they looked like eggs to me. I’m terrified that she will get egg bound If she is gravid.

So I pretty much wanted to hear the opinion of experienced breeders about this, I am applying the pics of her they way she looks now, and her X-ray. What do you guys think? PS. Despite her steering clear of food, she started shedding today as well….

Attachments

• IMG_6566.jpeg
    IMG_6566.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6551.jpeg
    IMG_6551.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 53
Wow! She’s got a belly full! I’m not great at reading x rays, but I do believe that follicles will be more round, while eggs will have a more oval shape. I can’t really tell of the shape of your girl’s. Let’s get in some members who have much more experience with breeding and reproduction issues than me. @jannb @JacksJill

If she has follicles she will not be able to lay them. Follicles are eggs without shells. She will most likely pass if she doesn’t have surgery to remove them. Does your vet do this female surgery successfully? Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a vet that’s knowledgeable with chameleon surgery.

Back
Top Bottom