Experienced w/neonates...question

ChrisnLisa

One of my hatchlings that hatched this morning has eyes that look very strange to me. Have any of you experienced something like this. It appears that her eyelids are sealed closed and towards the top of the turret. You can see her eyeball underneath though, lined up where it should be. Not sure what to do in this situation. Any help or input is much appreciated.

newDSC_1714.jpg

Yikes, that looks weird.

Not the same thing, but I did have one female of a group who's eyes werent good from the start. Vet couldnt give me a definitive reason. Essentially Had to hand feed her her whole life as she couldnt see well enough to hunt.

Hopefully your little one will improve in a couple days, if you can keep it hydrated and fed somehow in the meantime.

:( That's what I was afraid of. The crazy thing is she is cruising around like there is no problem at all,almost like she can see somewhat through the eyelids. Hopefully they will open, and if not, I hope this is an isolated incidence.

Can you gentlely mist her with warm water? I know nothing about neonates but misting does help clear eyes out, maybe they are just stuck together? I have heard people said you can drown a neonate so you might need to wait for someone who knoes more, or use a damp qtip carefully. Best of luck.

WOW THATS REALLY WEIRD LOOKING HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT of course i have only hatched a few hundred chams wonder if some of the larger breeders who have hatched thousands have ever seen this?

I had one clutch hatch out with eye deformities, but not like this. They had been exposed to temps in the 90s in the middle of their incubation, and hatched out way early- 5.5-6 months. All of them had it.

If it was just one, it could be a genetic defect, mutation, or just a screwup in the development.

Regardless, I would not take extra care of her. When they have big problems like this, if they would keep them from living in the wild, I usually let them die. I would give her some time - things can change.

[...]Regardless, I would not take extra care of her. When they have big problems like this, if they would keep them from living in the wild, I usually let them die. I would give her some time - things can change.

ouch. I know you're probably right to say this, but ouch. I would do everything I could - which is one reason why I'll never be rich.

I've done it. Thing is, I've bred these animals for a long time, and I have a different view on things now than I did when I started.

When I was young, I saw each individual animal as such a special, great little thing - every one was important to me.

Now, I still treasure each little monster when it pops out of the shell, hating me from the start, but it's different. I have seen how indiscriminate breeding can change the captive population. If they all live, and all of them breed, the result will be a group of uglier, smaller, weaker animals.

Make some discrimination, choose onyl the best animals for breeding, and you get better anmals. It only took a few years for the natural selective forces in Florida to result in huge colorful veileds. The expense was probably a mortality rate of near 100%.

The ones that make it, make it for a reason.

I had a clutch hatch out about 2 years ago from a beautiful 17" male. The one I held back rom the clutch has great colors, like dad, but is only 13" long. I know of one other male from the clutch that is similar in size. There is one that is 19" long as well. Amazing variety in just one clutch. Lots of posible "answers" to the question of which animal is best suited for this environment. It wont' always be the brightest, or the biggest - times and environmental conditions change rapidly. These things have adaptability programmed into them. That means selective breeding is extremely important.

Logically, I know and believe you to be right.

Emotionally, I guess I'm still at the "every single one matters" - that said, I would never sell or breed a mis-fit (and am prepared to live with the consequences of keeping misfits and defectives myself, so long as they're not in apparent distress)

I agree with both of you. While I see each one as special, I already told Chris that we will not be raising a blind chameleon, as I would obviously never sell her. We are putting warm drops of water on her eyes periodically for the chance that they do open, but if not I am prepared to lose her. Hopefully it is just a single occurrence and the rest that have yet to hatch will not have similar issues.

Interestingly enough though, Chris was trying to rinse her eyes with water and one of them did open briefly but she closed it again a few seconds after. We'll see tomorrow if she opens them or not.

Lisa

Logically and emotionally.

Logically, I would hope for the best and if it doesn't get better, well it's a hassle.

Emotionally, I would make sure it survived because seeing anything die makes me burst out in tears.

I would take her/him off your hands if I had the time and money. :( Perhaps someone on the forum does rescues like Chamelisa.

Also you said she/he was walking around fine? perhaps the eyes are clear enough to see. It's quite possible, and they do look a bit clear.

[...]Interestingly enough though, Chris was trying to rinse her eyes with water and one of them did open briefly but she closed it again a few seconds after. We'll see tomorrow if she opens them or not.
Lisa

That sounds promising! fingers crossed!
Maybe he/she hatched a little too soon.

Fingers crossed over here too. She hatched after 8 months and 7 days so I don't think it was too soon. It is very strange though, I'll be sure to post more pics tomorrow to see if there is any change in her condition.

Logically, I know and believe you to be right.

Emotionally, I guess I'm still at the "every single one matters" - that said, I would never sell or breed a mis-fit (and am prepared to live with the consequences of keeping misfits and defectives myself, so long as they're not in apparent distress)

You & I are soul mate cham owners. I can't choose to let something die that is not in pain. I have a couple of "special needs" chams, they will never breed but they will live long lives as best I can help them.

Good news!! She has had her eyes open all day today. They appear fine, she is active, and I couldn't be more relieved.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom