END reptile Neglect

...How does this actually help reptiles? Is it just a Facebook "like" kind of thing? If it's a donation thing where does the money actually go?

...How does this actually help reptiles? Is it just a Facebook "like" kind of thing? If it's a donation thing where does the money actually go?

all donations go toward the HSUS Humane Heroes Campaign.

more information to back the HSUS:

http://www.causes.com/causes/27814-...ency-situations-official-hsus/actions/1532075

https://secure.humanesociety.org/si...p;cr=HelptheHumanehumanesocietygengenpage&amp

I've donated to them only once not knowing where the money went until I did a little research.

This is not my fundraiser in anyway it is the HSUS

So an organization getting money stops other people from neglecting their pets...?

The Humane Society of the United States has been a leading voice for animals for more than 50 years. We believe in a truly humane society, and work to reduce suffering and create meaningful social change for animals in every way possible -- from providing direct care and response in the field when animals are in crisis, to working with corporate leaders and lawmakers to adopt policies preventing animals from ending up in distress in the first place.

HSUS Mission:

The HSUS' mission statement is "Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty." We strive to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals – a world that will also benefit people. We seek to forge a lasting and comprehensive change in human consciousness of and behavior toward all animals in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect, and to protect wild habitats and the entire community of life.

We work for animals every day by caring for the thousands of animals at our direct care centers across the country, educating the public about animal issues, working in the halls of Congress to create laws to protect animals, and rescuing animals from disaster and cruelty situations. We also work to protect animals through our major campaigns that target large-scale cruelties such as animal fighting, puppy mills, factory farms, unsporting hunting practices, and the fur trade.

The HSUS? NO THANKS!!!!

They are very much against exotic and reptile pet ownership and actually do very little to aid local shelters in any way.

I have no problem with anyone supporting any cause they feel is important - whether or not I agree with it - but you may want to to a little bit more research and make sure this is where you really want your money going.

That's what I was afraid of... I absolutely will NOT give a CENT to HSUS. They are actually launching a campaign that the snake ban did not go far enough and they want more snake species to be added to the list. They only hurt the exotic animal trade and have supported complete bans of exotics pets multiple times. Did you know that less than 1% of their donations collected actually goes towards any shelter animals? They are not affiliated with any of the shelters in local communities desperately needing funds and support. And they recently were in the news for "rescuing" hundreds of dogs after some disaster event only to euthanize them all instead of adopting them out.

Their CEOs get fat and rich off donations and the animals continue to suffer. Please do not support them. Your money goes to lobbyists and retirement funds and does nothing to help the animals you're actually concerned about. Local efforts are what have the most impact. Educate those around you, start a reptile club to increase awareness and make sure your pet store is providing proper environments and advice.

http://humanewatch.org/

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2011/04/4435-the-truth-about-hsus-shines-in-times-square/

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/truth-about-hsus-might-shock-you

In regards to donating to charities in general:

There are many "charities" ready to accept your donations after giving claim of a wholesome mission statement. Many of them don't actually do a darn thing with your money though, or at least it's not what you thought you were donating to. Before you donate to a charity investigate into what they claim to do. Sure they want to end world hunger, but what are they actually doing to end world hunger? If they don't have project specifics posted then be wary. They should be able to tell you exactly where your donation goes. "We support this local organization with so much funding to provide this many lunches to this many people this often". If you're giving them money then you have every right to know what it is being used for! And if they can't tell you then you should be suspicious of why. It shouldn't be secret so assume they don't actually have any projects that they support if they can't tell you what they are.

My dog has cancer so some of my friends banned together to donate to an organization pledged to promoting canine cancer research. I think that was so nice of them to do that but unfortunately, when I investigated the organization there wasn't a single detail as to how they actually use the money donated to do anything at all with cancer research. I know of lots of ongoing studies on canine cancer by name, and I know multiple institutions investigating multiple drugs and cancer types. But not a single one of them or any others were listed. They just kept saying "we donate to cancer research". If they actually did they should have been able to list even one place or researcher that they've supported. I felt bad not chipping in with my friends, but I actually donate directly to the researchers at A&M who work with MD Anderson to not only help canine patients, but also human patients! Then I know that I am actually contributing to the cause. The newer studies on a treatment for canine lymphoma could have a huge impact on helping human lymphoma patients! Seek out the studies themselves to spend your money to know that you are actually helping the cause itself! A local impact is so much bigger than giving to some of these slimy organizations who sound all amazing until you look past the pretty face. That's not something most people would expect. "If it's a charity they must be good!" Well unfortunately that is just not true in this world...

Now not all charities are bad! Givewell.org is an awesome site that rates charities based on their financial reports and percentages of donations that actually help their proclaimed goal. They are an independent organization with no bias there to help you decide who to give your money to, and they don't get anything for it from you. Charitable donations are a wonderful thing! Spend them wisely so you can actually be one to help make a difference!

Back
Top Bottom