New but not new

Delef3

Hello everyone! I am coming back to this forum after a hiatus of many years. I believe I left in 2010 but my brain is a little foggy regarding the details. I was an avid keeper of reptiles for 25 years. I had the pleasure of having a love for reptiles and amphibians from the time I could speak. It began with a newt and grew into green Iguanas, monitors, bearded dragons, geckos, and eventually, chameleons. I have had two Panthers - the most recent left us in 2010. It was then, with a looming move of my large family on the horizon (we’ve moved 10 times in 24 years), I decided to cease keeping reptiles for the foreseeable future.
Fast forward to a few years ago: my youngest child (of seven) who is four years old, starts showing a natural interest in reptiles, and especially chameleons. This quickly rekindled a flame of interest for me, and I have recently decided to yet again take the plunge, and purchase another panther chameleon. I cannot express how excited I am to get back into keeping these most amazing creatures, But WOW, things have surely changed in the hobby in the last 15 years! Especially as regards technology etc.
I have been lurking on here for the past few months, researching on here and elsewhere, relearning a lot, and thought it was a good time to comeback aboard and join the community. In the past, my experience of this forum was one of a genuinely kind and extremely helpful group of keepers, breeders, etc. who have each others’ (and the chameleons of course!) best interest in mind, and behave in a welcoming and non-judgmental fashion. I can only assume that the group still prides itself on these qualities and I look forward to gaining new and old insight, advice, and plain ole good conversation. Thanks for having me back!

Welcome back! We still are a wonderful group of people. Kindness is definitely how the members approach helping others. A ton has for sure changed since you were in the hobby. If you want a crash course in all things that are recommended then I highly recommend Bill Strand's website https://chameleonacademy.com/. His site is the back bone of the same information we teach here.

Hope you enjoy your new adventure in cham keeping with your son!

Thanks! Yeah, Bill has been my go to for months now. I have literally listened to every single podcast episode (some more than once!), scoured the entire website over and over, and have even contacted him personally for some advice, which he generously was quick to offer. Although I have used many sources to attempt to regain my chops, I have found his to be the most informative and balanced. And with the existence of YouTube since I last kept chams, that adds a whole other level of access (although it must be combed through carefully of course). I am in the process of re-purchasing/acquiring supplies, including an Dragonstrand enclosure, and am sure I’ll be posting all sorts of questions etc. Apologies from now 🙃!

Thanks! Yeah, Bill has been my go to for months now. I have literally listened to every single podcast episode (some more than once!), scoured the entire website over and over, and have even contacted him personally for some advice, which he generously was quick to offer. Although I have used many sources to attempt to regain my chops, I have found his to be the most informative and balanced. And with the existence of YouTube since I last kept chams, that adds a whole other level of access (although it must be combed through carefully of course). I am in the process of re-purchasing/acquiring supplies, including an Dragonstrand enclosure, and am sure I’ll be posting all sorts of questions etc. Apologies from now 🙃!
We like helping here so you wont have any problems getting more feedback then you could want. Bill is one of my favorite people and I am glad you already found his stuff. I have a dragon strand and have had multiple. If it helps you at all for setting these up here is my album on the three cages I have done. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

Hi and welcome back to the forum and hobby! :) We do our best to keep the forum as a positive and welcoming space for all and most of us (maybe all) really enjoy helping others get things as close to perfect as possible. There is a ton of bad info out there on husbandry standards, but stick with Chameleon Academy and you can’t go wrong. If you have any questions, ask away. 😃

We like helping here so you wont have any problems getting more feedback then you could want. Bill is one of my favorite people and I am glad you already found his stuff. I have a dragon strand and have had multiple. If it helps you at all for setting these up here is my album on the three cages I have done. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/
This album is more helpful than you know! Specifically to my situation! I’m wondering if you know if any of those really large DS drainage trays are in the wild anywhere?? They are not sold currently and I am wrestling with a host of drainage alternatives, but if I can find one of those (even used) it would be ideal!

This album is more helpful than you know! Specifically to my situation! I’m wondering if you know if any of those really large DS drainage trays are in the wild anywhere?? They are not sold currently and I am wrestling with a host of drainage alternatives, but if I can find one of those (even used) it would be ideal!
Which cage size did you get? It should come with the tray.

Welcome back!!!!🥳 I’m a newer keeper (2yrs). I have 2 panthers and just love them. So happy your back in the game thanks to your baby of the family! 🥰 I’m sure it’s so exciting to be back in the reptile game but to have one of your kids enjoying it too I’m sure puts you over the moon! This Cham Fam forum is still the kind place you remember, just more great keepers and pet pics.
We love it here!

Welcome back!!!!🥳 I’m a newer keeper (2yrs). I have 2 panthers and just love them. So happy your back in the game thanks to your baby of the family! 🥰 I’m sure it’s so exciting to be back in the reptile game but to have one of your kids enjoying it too I’m sure puts you over the moon! This Cham Fam forum is still the kind place you remember, just more great keepers and pet pics.
We love it here!
I am so happy to hear this. It makes coming back much more appetizing. I usually do not frequent forums, etc. and actually shy away from social media in general. Actually, all of my children are interested in reptiles, but mostly from my “brainwashing” them over the years!

Back
Top Bottom