Enclosure

elefntkpr

I've been reading the forum tonight and once again I really wish I had found this site sooner. I've got all my notes and favorites from the site for recommended terrarium setup and I can accomodate all but the size. I have nearly finished the cage and can't imagine starting over...nor do I have the time. The dimensions are 24 x 24 x 24 which are just below what I'm hearing as the minimum size suggested in height. I'm wondering, in one post I read where someone had suggested height wasn't as important if the cage sat high enough on a stand. Anyone else agree with this? For now our veiled cham is very young and only a few inches long so it's not a pressing issue at the moment. I attached a picture of the cage sitting on top of a 4' stand. I hope this doesn't come across as nit-picking, I'd just like to be sure he'll do fine in this enclosure...or have I spent two weeks fashioning wood for our next bon fire.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 275
For now this looks good. To answer your question, yes, the cage will need to be taller as he gets older, with four feet tall being the standard. And you are right, the higher the cage is, the more secure they appear. A four foot tall enclosure on a 2-3 foot stand is plenty tall for a low traffic room. your current set-up should last for a few months, then I would look into a 36'' tall enclosure before he's 7 months to a year old.

Curses...that's what I figured. It's actually 26" tall, so I suppose I could add another 10" of frame and screen on the top. If I told my wife I had to build another cage in a few months I think she'd have the walls of our guest bedroom padded. I swear, everytime I think I'm almost finished with this it turns out I've only just begun. Oh well, read first is the lesson I guess.

Thanks

Enclosure Size

Thanks again for the advice jheitz. I went ahead and added some volume to my enclosure. It now measures 25"x25"x40". Now I can get on the misting and drainage and finish this crazy thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 210
The top addition was screened after that picture. It's still a work in progress with much of that work being me staring at it wondering what I'm doing next or how I'm going to do it. heh

You made the right decission to add on. Your ch will be much happier. I really like the look of the wood you used, what is it? Nice clean work from what I can see.

I'm housing the drainage and water for the mister below the cage in the stand. That's why it's so big...at least that's my plan so far.

I used select pine to build the cage. It was the cheapest of the premium wood available at lowes. Then I stained and sealed it. The base is just cheap building lumber though.

Making some more progress. Drainage, misting and furniture are all that's left...I hope. Thanks again to all who have helped.

Attachments

• Acrylic Lined and Drain.jpg
    Acrylic Lined and Drain.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Cement Floor.jpg
    Cement Floor.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Backgrounds.jpg
    Backgrounds.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Overall.jpg
    Overall.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 169
I have to say that I love your willingness to change for the health and happiness of your cham. I've seen too many people that would just say, "It will work the way it is."
Glad to have you in the community. Your cage is looking great.

Pretty much finished now. Needs drainage collection, flourescent UV and some outside stain here and there. I don't have a dripping or misting system. I have the humidifier set to run one hour then off to dry several times each day. On my test runs the water collects on the screen up top and on the artificial leaves and deposits enough to drain through the floor. I'll monitor it to see if it's producing enough. The lights are on a timer too. All limbs and fauna are sterilized. I can thank this forum for all of the information I learned to check for. Fun to build but I'm glad it's almost over.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

Looks pretty good. I have been tracking this thread since the beginning and now the final project looks great.;) post some pics of your chameleon in the cage

I forgot I wanted to thank mattjillson for the idea of using the crane penguin humidifier. I took that idea and ran with it. The chameleon moves in in a few days. I want all the epoxies, sealants, etc to dry and air out in the garage for a while before I move it inside. I'll definetely get some picture of him in his new all inclusive resort.

I used select pine to build the cage. It was the cheapest of the premium wood available at lowes. Then I stained and sealed it. The base is just cheap building lumber though.

What sort of seal did you use? Polyurethane?

Make sure you allow at LEAST 30 days from the final application for the fumes to clear.

What sort of seal did you use? Polyurethane?

Make sure you allow at LEAST 30 days from the final application for the fumes to clear.

30 days? Hmm, I had done some reading on this and most information suggested that in 24 hours it would dry for use and in about a week all solvents would be gone. But either way, I'm in no hurry to get him in there. He's in no danger of outgrowing his current enclosure in a few more weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's some video of the fogger. So far if I run it for an hour within 20 minutes water begins to drop constantly from the top until the timer turns off the humidifier. I had it set to rotate every hour but the cage doesn't dry out enough so I'll have to adjust the off time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgh5hUk2dvA

And a picture of the cute little turd.

IMG_1180.jpg

The craftmanship of the cage is awesome... BUT - WHAT!?! No LIVE plants??? :confused: Not even one Ficus? You will hold your humidity much better if you use live plants... and since you have great drainage, why not!?

Again, great work on the cage! I, also, love the way you were willing to go the extra mile to make it right for your Cham! :D

The craftmanship of the cage is awesome... BUT - WHAT!?! No LIVE plants??? :confused: Not even one Ficus? You will hold your humidity much better if you use live plants... and since you have great drainage, why not!?

Again, great work on the cage! I, also, love the way you were willing to go the extra mile to make it right for your Cham! :D

I know I know shame on me...I've been going back and forth on this. My wife and I can't keep a plant alive for anything. Animals? yes, plants? all dead. I don't even buy roundup. I just go outside and suggest that we like the weeds and they turn brown. But I have been reading on Pothos and they seem pretty hard to kill so one of those just might end up in there.

Back
Top Bottom