Enclosure Photos?

adam1v

Ive been trying to find a thread full of enclosure photos but so far to no avail :(

Ive decided to buy my third cham, a Mellers. I have a 100g tank (something like 30" x 17" x 47"). I've bought two drippers (a large for the cham and small for the plants), UV tube and bulb and a flexi-tray to go around my flexi-vivarium.

I really wanted to get some new ideas for the tank. I know alot of people put just a towel down, but I was trying to think of something different.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my species of chameleon, or know for alot of photos I can take ideas from?

thanks,

Is the Meller's a baby?
That enclosure is really small.
Check out the meller's habitat article in the latest e-zine

-Brad

Here is a photo of our current Melleri enclosure:
DSC_0005.jpg

MyChameleons004.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

And other cages we have tried, but have found that the free roam is more successful:
cham502.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

I would highly recommend researching on www.melleridiscovery.com
A lot of info is provided pertaining to living conditions and general husbandry.

Liz-I was told the Mellers and the heat was a big no-no and you have them outside? Are they doing OK?

what sort of Heat are you guys talking? I live in the UK and dont suffer the hot temps you guys do.
Its going to be housed indoors most likely.

what sort of Heat are you guys talking? I live in the UK and dont suffer the hot temps you guys do.
Its going to be housed indoors most likely.

Where Liz and I are in Tampa, FL it is in the low 90's everyday this time of year. I have a Mellers that is a few weeks old now and he is housed indoors.

do you have any photos of your setup Julirs?
Im starting to think the mesh cage I have now may be ok for a few weeks/months, but may move onto just an open cage, and have plenty of plants outside the mesh cage.

Also, I was wondering if UK mellers are going to be the same size as the ones abroad?

Last edited:
do you have any photos of your setup Julirs?
Im starting to think the mesh cage I have now may be ok for a few weeks/months, but may move onto just an open cage, and have plenty of plants outside the mesh cage.

Also, I was wondering if UK mellers are going to be the same size as the ones abroad?

Since Major Mellers is still very young (hatched 05/28) he is still "tubbing" it!
Here are some pics I just now took...
DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

Won't be long before I move him into a "Big Boy Cage"!

Here! It's not a great view of the setup, but you get the idea. I've since added a Pathos to the enclosure as well for some extra cover.

theoCage.jpg

Mael, that enclosure looks a bit small for mellers with reference to what everyone else has been saying about my initial enclosure.

I will post some photos of the setup over the next 48 hours before I get the cham. I will appreciate any feedback before he/she arrives.

Liz-I was told the Mellers and the heat was a big no-no and you have them outside? Are they doing OK?
Julie Major is soo cute!! Thanks for your concern.
Everything rather than Rambo's swollen foot seems ok. Haven't noticed any stressful coloration as depicted on the melleri site. We are just vacationing here another couple of days then it's back to Tampa to the condo and the indoor enclosure. Temps have been settling in the mid 80's, with showers every day.
I suppose I could bring him in off the porch (everyone else is), just seems like a shame to shove him in a travel cage when he has the huge free roam.... I have known FL keepers that have situated their Melleri permanently in huge outdoor enclosures. Maybe I'll think about setting a few plants for him to hang out in, in my room till we go back but IDK he seems ok to me though.........
She-ra passed unexpectedly early last week while Rambo and I were in Tampa for a vet visit.

@ibesok,
do you have any photos of your current setup?

you guys are really lucky being abroad, the housing is so much different to how it is in the uk and the weather permitts you to keep yours outside. The average temperature here is around 20 degrees on a warm day.
If i had a big enough garden (could be coming soon) i would consider having a large shed with plenty of heating.

@ibesok,
do you have any photos of your current setup?

you guys are really lucky being abroad, the housing is so much different to how it is in the uk and the weather permitts you to keep yours outside. The average temperature here is around 20 degrees on a warm day.
If i had a big enough garden (could be coming soon) i would consider having a large shed with plenty of heating.

Adam, sorry for any confusion. The current Melleri set up is the free range that I posted before that is on my parents porch in Ft.P. When I go back to Tampa the current indoor condo set up is the fourth picture down..... Just without the larger Melleri, She-ra RIP.
To appease you here is what it currently looks like in my bedroom(sorry for the crummy photo). If I brought Rambo in with the Panthers, he would just free roam on the plants:
DSC_0039.jpg

Last edited:
Mael, that enclosure looks a bit small for mellers with reference to what everyone else has been saying about my initial enclosure.

I don't know if you can tell by the photos, but the enclosure is around 30"x30"x48". It's huge!

And I didn't notice this was a thread for Mellers owners. It's for my Veiled. :)

Thanks for the clear up mael.
I think my current setup should be ok for afew months, then i'll need to consider some sort of open style cage, I think I should be good.
Most of the kit arrived yesterday with the remaining today. that'll leave me3 days to setup and gut load locust before i pick it up on tuesday. im very excited!

I was thinking of getting a misting system, i've looked at a few (habba in particular) but not seen many great reviews for it.
Im ok for misting early morning (7am) and early evening (6pm) but not between.

Can anyone recommend a middle of the road mister? $100-$150? I dont want to spend a fortune but dont want a cheap nasty thing :)

Back
Top Bottom