Reptile safe wood sealant

chameleonowner32

Avid Member
Switching to a greenhouse with planter base. It'll be 36x24x52, need a much larger cage for an Oustaleti. It comes with a liner, and I'm also planning on running a plastic liner under that to prevent moisture buildup in the wood. But my question is the kit recommends using a wood sealant. I'm not filling the planter with soil and live planting yet. But does anyone know of anything usable, I thought about flex sealing the wood on the box, don't really want to use stain.

Here is a general idea of what it looks like. I'm also raising the greenhouse height by 1ft, mnards sells metal closet rack tubing the same size and butt joiners. Cutting a patch in the top to screen in since the cover is uv proof. Also run screen beneath the door.

The kit itself is only 102$ with alot of good reviews about the "craftsmanship".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231209_101402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231209_101402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20231209_101411_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231209_101411_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My main concern is the fogger at night, it's going to pool up at the bottom, or atleast get very moist. Trying to avoid mold at all cot if possible.

In general, I think cedar is recommend to be avoided, the reason I don't recall, but if you decide to go that route flex seal is probably your best bet as it is non toxic to plants and animals after a 48hr cure.

I'd think bioactive "like" ( prob don't need to add the insects necessarily, just the layering ) would be the way to handle drainage w/ an actual drain tube dropping into a catch of some sort. Then you should be able to use the planter as intended.

In general, I think cedar is recommend to be avoided, the reason I don't recall, but if you decide to go that route flex seal is probably your best bet as it is non toxic to plants and animals after a 48hr cure.

I'd think bioactive "like" ( prob don't need to add the insects necessarily, just the layering ) would be the way to handle drainage w/ an actual drain tube dropping into a catch of some sort. Then you should be able to use the planter as intended.
Appreciate it, idk why I put cedar in there, it's supposed to be fir.

Back
Top Bottom