Egg bound?

Flapenn

So Zelda is about 8 months old now and she laid her first clutch of infertile eggs at 4.5 months old. Her appetite has gone down but she still eats plenty. I noticed her appetite change about a week ago. I figured she was prob just gettin ready to lay some eggs. On July 3 i started to get worried she may be egg bound and scheduled an appt. with the vet. Couldnt get an appt untill 6:30 pm today. She ended up verifying my thoughts of her having eggs by laying a single egg a few hours after i made the appt. :rolleyes: Im not sure why she isnt laying her eggs, i havent been bothering her and she has total privacy. So would it be a good idea to take her in to see the vet and perhaps give her oxytocin if needed or am i just being over worried. Should i have x-rays taken? Thanks in advance.

Oh my, I have never heard of a female laying two clutches before a year old. Are you keeping her cooler and not feeding much? If she does not lay tonight I would take her for and Xray and make sure that she does have eggs and see if she needs the Oxytocin. Do you have a GOOD chameleon vet?

Im not sure if my vet is good or not but any vet is better than no vet at this point. Im going to take her to Long Beach animal hospital so whoever is on shift right now. Im taking her right now. I will let you know who it goes :confused:

So Zelda saw Dr. Seto. She took X-rays and found Zelda has a butload of eggs. None of them look too big and her bones look good. Dr said she could have better bone density but said its most likely from all the eggs. I got some liquid calcium anyways. Zelda will be goin in her layin bin when I get home and I will post X-rays. :)

also forgot that she got her vent lubed up too :rolleyes: haha and on 5/20 she weighed 100grams today when she was wieghed she was 121grams :eek: maybe someone that knows how to read xrays can over look these to be sure she is all good

heres her xrays

Attachments

• 1.2.840.114387.298286377.35104.19420.34521.108883294823246.jpg
    1.2.840.114387.298286377.35104.19420.34521.108883294823246.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 170
  • 1.2.840.114387.688711808.46029.18426.43824.216279068743518.jpg
    1.2.840.114387.688711808.46029.18426.43824.216279068743518.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 166
Yeah I agree with jannb... a bit unusual for such a young cham. But anyways sometimes it can take a few days for them to start laying eggs.

also forgot that she got her vent lubed up too :rolleyes: haha and on 5/20 she weighed 100grams today when she was wieghed she was 121grams :eek: maybe someone that knows how to read xrays can over look these to be sure she is all good

heres her xrays

Wow that IS a buttload of eggs :eek:

Yeah I agree with jannb... a bit unusual for such a young cham. But anyways sometimes it can take a few days for them to start laying eggs.
The vet also said its odd for such a young cham to be on her second clutch of eggs and not even a year old. She said that they could give hormone injections that make them not lay eggs but im not so sure about that.

Wow that IS a buttload of eggs :eek:

Yea it is lol i think i counted like 22 and who knows how many more could be behind the other eggs and not visible :(

The vet also said its odd for such a young cham to be on her second clutch of eggs and not even a year old. She said that they could give hormone injections that make them not lay eggs but im not so sure about that.

No, hormone injections are NEVER a good thing with any living thing.

what are her temps at normally? and how much is she eating? I have to agree with everyone else. we try to keep our females on cooler temps and a good small diet that way they are less likly to lay under a year. In the 1st year they are growing and need all the calcium they are getting to grow and have strong bones that way when they do form clutches they are better pre paired for it. I have never heard of a female laying 2 clutches before 1 year old. and I can't say that sounds safe for her. Laying eggs takes alot out of them and has been known to shorten their life expectancy. I am glad you got her into the vet. There are ways to prevent laying without messing with mother nature too much.

heres her xrays

Those are some really cool x-rays :)

Sorry she's giving cause for concern, hopefully she'll lay em soon.

Once they start laying eggs they CAN lay them about every other 120 days or so.

Are the "eggs" in he xray round or oval?

Once they start laying eggs they CAN lay them about every other 120 days or so.

Are the "eggs" in he xray round or oval?

The pics of the xray are on the first page a few posts down, i would say they are oval since she already laid one egg on the 3rd

I saw the xrays but can't tell enlarge them enough to tell.

If they are oval then she should be close to laying time. Do you have a suitable placing the cage for her to dig to lay them?

Back
Top Bottom