ecozone vivarium controller

Hey Fabian, do you currently use sensaphone? I have an old sensaphone 2000 that work was just going to through away. I plan on using it. I have a heat sensor and water lever for it as well.

ryan what is this your talking about exactly? is it another monitoring style sytem?

http://www.smarthome.com/7017/Sensaphone-2000-Remote-Monitoring-and-Control-System/p.aspx

The 2000 isnt that old, and is still fantastic, being a network device is a huge plus.

Thats it , I have been using it here at work for 6 years now. It is a great device and has not failed us over that time. Its a bit more $$$ than I thought. Nice this one is free.

Here is the manufactures web site.

http://www.sensaphone.com/sensaphone_2000.php

and I meant throw away , not sure why I said through :D

Can you come up with an auto feeder?
Something that will gutload the crix and release 10 of them every other day?
I would probably be interested in it.
This will give me a peace of mind when I am out of town.

Im trying to work something out, if its not one thing its the other.

lol i typed out this huuuuuuge message detailing my two best ideas for auto feeders, before i realized it prob wasnt a good idea :)

im shooting for a ten day feeder, feces is a problem though :(

for you to design something like this, what kind price are we looking at

I havent even started thinking about that, i would prob be more inclined to accept trades then money. but money is tighter now adays with a baby and all.

give me an idea on what you're looking for, like 4 heat lamps, 4 uv lamps, on/off timer, network control, temp/ humid ranges ect....

Thanks Fabian

I know how relentless it can be calling you. We monitor our Data Center with one. This one is the old one and is mine now. Muahhahahaha

I have been called at all hours by this thing.

Ah! You're well acquainted with it, then! Haha. I've only used the 400 and 800 models, and the ones that were replaced by these, but they're a great investment.

Yes, I agree, cheque. I wouldn't rely solely on these monitoring systems-- besides, as JoJackson said, where's the fun in full automation? The benefit of these systems (and the EcoZone, I suppose) is that one can eliminate many of the repetitive tasks such as photoperiod and misting (as well as emergency notifications, especially where I live), but automatic feeding? I want automation so I can spend more time managing the collection-- feeding, observing, etc. Even with a fully automated watering system, I would still have a spray bottle handy for manual misting.

Cheers,

Fabián

Obviously most large reef keepers already use something like this.

Automation is great, but comes with its own set of problems.. so don't think that its a set and forget type thing. You still need to monitor and maintain your equipment very carefully..

I know people who have lost $15,000 fish tanks because something went wrong with their controller system. It always breaks when you're out of town, ha ha

yeah thats the case when you have proprietary product trying to be a jack of all trades.

Its better IMHO to have a bunch of little specialized brains that were designed and produced by companies that specialize in what ever it is you are getting from them. And have them use a central hub for logic and communication

as oppose to one huge brain trying to to everything.

thats weird because i have never had anyone i know, nor have i heard of anyone loosing their tank with an automation system save losses due to the tank busting.

what a nightmare that would be

but automatic feeding? I want automation so I can spend more time managing the collection-- feeding, observing, etc. Even with a fully automated watering system, I would still have a spray bottle handy for manual misting.

Cheers,

Fabián

I agree, thats why i said i was shooting for a ten day feeder, which i believe would be suitable for most vacations.

I enjoyed hand misting, i would have the timing down so that i would only spray right before the cham opened to lap. My wife did not enjoy the hrs i was away just watering the collection :)

Honestly the only cage automation I want beside the misters would be an automated dimmer and a thermostat to kill basking lamps if it gets too hot. Pretty inexpensive to do this.

i enjoy spending as much time as i could with my chams.

I'm creating solutions for vacations, and for large projects or collections not your average keeper. The price point levels out on larger systems since there are base 1 time purchase components that are most of the cost, adding control over more cages is cheap once you get the base units out of the way

The biggest issue with automated fish tanks is the auto top off controllers. Float valves get stuck, fresh water floods in.. or something leaks.. fresh water floods in.. heaters and malfunctions related to that are probably the other big thing that does them in. Especially on the X10 type systems.. if it misses a shut off command.. disaster. Automated chemical dosing has caused similar problems.

yeah thats the case when you have proprietary product trying to be a jack of all trades.

Its better IMHO to have a bunch of little specialized brains that were designed and produced by companies that specialize in what ever it is you are getting from them. And have them use a central hub for logic and communication

as oppose to one huge brain trying to to everything.

thats weird because i have never had anyone i know, nor have i heard of anyone loosing their tank with an automation system save losses due to the tank busting.

what a nightmare that would be

do you guys recomend this type of set up for someone who has 1 animal maybe 2. the reason i ask is becouse what it you do want to go on a weekend getaway then what

what else would you be looking for as far as programming?

Im in the automation biz, there is no application i have been posed with that i havent come up with something.

Want to turn on the heat in your plane 3 miles away? i can do that

want to call your spa on the way home and turn it to 72 degrees? i can do that

direct control, timers, network access, contact input, contact output, basic logic all the way to if/then/else/else cross platform, serial, usb, analog, digital, wired, wireless, i mean anything anyone wants i can put together

ive said it before, but all i need is some type of auto feeder, and i can have you log on to one ip, send a signal and trigger the feeders to release prey and watch it all live on one screen, from a comp ( mac or win ) from a compatible phone i just dont have the feeder down yet

if it gets too hot, i can have a mister come on until its cooler, and then reduce an incandescent output, if ur cages are outdoors and its raining, your misters wont come on, if the night drops too low your heat comes on, monitor temp, humid, anything.

want to control it via touch screen, or in wall keypad, iphone, smart phone, ir signals, any input converted to any output
tyler you should drop me a line, seriously though.

Hi,

This may be a little off topic but my parner and I are looking to invest in some of our favourite snakes, namely;
Dwarf Retic
Emerald green Tree Boa
Morph Ball Pythons
Columbian Rainbow Boa
Common Boa
We currently live in Germany and are having vivariums custom built for them over the next 2 months. We have been looking for an automated system to help maintain and monitor the vivarium conditions for these breeds but we have not come across any that are available to buy on the market that would suit our needs with multiple environments.
You seem to be taling about exactly what we are looking for!! We would like a system that is able to control and monitor, light, heat, humidity with alarms for feeding, hatching and remote alarms for unexpected variations in the condidtions in the vivariums and remote viewing with web cams. We would like the system to have the capability to be viewed, controlled and analysed via computer on site or remotely.
Would you be interested in setting up a system like this or do you know of anyone that would be interested in the project if you are not interested or unable? Or do you know of anywhere that can build a custom programe to meet your specific needs?

If you have any useful info it would be greatly appreciated, I think you can send me mesages on here.......
I hope to hear from you soon!
Jennifer

Back
Top Bottom