Drip, mist or both for new borns and babies?

BIGGUN

Avid Member
I was wondering if you guys drip water or mist water your new borns and at what age you change. I know some use sterlite containers to keep them in and I'm ready to move up to bigger containers. I was going to get some sterlite's myself but drainage will be a problem with the larger footprints. I didn't know if misting multiple times would be a better solution so there would be time for the bottom to dry out.

Thanks,
Kevin

IMO, I would use both. The only thing that I would suggest is to make sure that the water that you are misting them with is warm. Don't use cold water right out of the sink. When I was misting by hand, I would make sure that the water was at least room temperature before spraying.

With newborns being housed in a sterlite container, I think I would mist only.
At least 2 or 3 times a day and not directly on the babies.

-Brad

I was wondering if you guys drip water or mist water your new borns and at what age you change. I know some use sterlite containers to keep them in and I'm ready to move up to bigger containers. I was going to get some sterlite's myself but drainage will be a problem with the larger footprints. I didn't know if misting multiple times would be a better solution so there would be time for the bottom to dry out.

Thanks,
Kevin

I misted babies until the second or third month, when I switched to primarily drippers with light misting. Dont mist directly at /on the babies (Im sure you knew this)

I mist them a couple times a day. I remember you having like 40+ babies hatch and drippers just arent an efficient way to water them all. Misting is the best way to water chams, especially when theres a bunch in one cage. Just mist a few times a day, enough to get the leaves wet with droplets and you'll be fine. At this age, i would still try not to spray them directly but it isn't as much of an issue now because they are older, because the primary concern with misting them directly while theyre younger is smothering the babies with the water droplets. Just make sure the water is plenty warm before you spray them so the temperature flux doesnt cause them to freak out. Of course there no one way to do this, but this method works best for me.

Drippers can be dangerous with babies...I have heard of them aspirating the water and dying. I only mist mine for the first couple of months.

Kinyonga, very good point. I can see how it would be very easy for the whole droplet to completely adhere to the chameleon face while they take a drink. Its amazing how much the water will attach itself to a baby.

iw ould agree with not using the drippers. I mist my babies also but not directly. Actually I dont use drippers at all. I guess I am lucky enough that my chams drink enough from the 3 times I mist a day. I know because of course the urates. If there where a problem with one that didnt drink enough from the mistings I would use a dripper but like I said I am lucky my guys drink enough from the mistings. In my experience with 4 clutches my babies seem to want to drink a ton! Because of this I wouldnt worry to much about the dripper.

Back
Top Bottom