drilling through glass-bottom viv?

ScottChoc

I am getting really tired of soaking up standing water evey moning. going throug a roll of paper towels every 3 or 4 days. I have the enclosure at a slight angle so the water runs to one side but it would be really nice to have some drainage. has anybody successfully drilled throgh the glass successfully without cracking it?

Is your glass funnel shaped or otherwise have contour? If not then I'm afraid that drilling through the glass isn't going to help other than at the very spot where the hole is. Glass doesn't like a drill nearly as nice as it does a glass cutter. The pressure and vibration of the drill will more than likely shatter the glass.

If the glass is easily removable you'd probably do better to purchase a sheet of plexiglass, drill/perforate it as you wish and replace it with the glass bottom.

If the glass is tempered, it cannot be cut or drilled (there should have been a sticker on the bottom when you first got it). If it isn't, you should be able to find glass cutting tools or a drill bit at most hardware stores.

I have successfully drilled holes in glass. You need the proper tools. Or take it to a glass shop and let them do it for you.

The suggestion to just remove the bottom and replace with predrilled plexi is a good one - especially if you crack the glass :)

I've heard of people trying to shave/sand it off, but it's difficult and a bit.. dangerous from glass shards. I wouldn't suggest it.

Try drilling a hole and if it does crack - just put some of that soft glue on it, unless you're worried about looks. :s

Why are you using a glass cage? It is a lot easier to manage husbandry plus be better for your cham to be in an all screen cage.

Actually, What matters is keeping the environment correct, not what materials are used.

There's no reason not to use glass if done properly.

A lot depends on where you live (ambient humidity for instance) and what type of chameleon you are keeping.

Why are you using a glass cage? It is a lot easier to manage husbandry plus be better for your cham to be in an all screen cage.

The cage is glass on 2 sides and bottom and screened on front back and top. I will be building a more suitable all-screen enclosure in the next couple of weeks.

drilling glass

Hi
I can tell you how to drill glass and it a pain but here you go.
first you will need a few things.
Glass coring bit
a drill
a can of window glazing putty
a can of anti freeze
and patience
First you build a dam around the area where you want a hole
then you pour in 1/4" of anti freeze, ( this will keep the glass cool while you drill)
then start you whole and slowly drill the whole add anti freeze as needed
you just dont push the drill thru you have to let it grind the whole into the glass.
Ive done it with a few mistakes and started over a couple times it would be cheaper to pay a glass guy 35.00 to drill the whole LOL.
Good luck
Bruce

Hi
I can tell you how to drill glass and it a pain but here you go.
first you will need a few things.
Glass coring bit
a drill
a can of window glazing putty
a can of anti freeze
and patience
First you build a dam around the area where you want a hole
then you pour in 1/4" of anti freeze, ( this will keep the glass cool while you drill)
then start you whole and slowly drill the whole add anti freeze as needed
you just dont push the drill thru you have to let it grind the whole into the glass.
Ive done it with a few mistakes and started over a couple times it would be cheaper to pay a glass guy 35.00 to drill the whole LOL.
Good luck
Bruce

I think I saw that on an episode of Macyver :)

Back
Top Bottom