DIY rain attachment

I know this is an older post, but was just directed here in my post, so hopefully somebody is still around to answer. Do the rain rings keep the humidity up themselves or are you misting your tanks, too. I think I saw one of the setups on here with a nozzle in the background.

Also, does anybody have a rain ring on the same line with a couple of nozzles. I'm wondering if the rain ring would lower the pressure too much to work the nozzles.

I only use the rain ring in Remy's cage, no misters, and it works great. I also have 4 mister nozzles in line with this. I just have them in line before the rain ring with a Needle valve after the misting nozzles and before the rain ring. Without the needle valve there is not enough pressure for the misting nozzles and WAY too much water goes through the rain ring itself.

I only use the rain ring in Remy's cage, no misters, and it works great. I also have 4 mister nozzles in line with this. I just have them in line before the rain ring with a Needle valve after the misting nozzles and before the rain ring. Without the needle valve there is not enough pressure for the misting nozzles and WAY too much water goes through the rain ring itself.

Awesome, that's how mine would be. What type of tubing works best for the rings?

From your photos, it looks like you just used the semi-clear hard wall tubing sold at HD. Are you still using that or did you get the black tubing?

Awesome, that's how mine would be. What type of tubing works best for the rings?

From your photos, it looks like you just used the semi-clear hard wall tubing sold at HD. Are you still using that or did you get the black tubing?

I am still using the semi clear tubing. I have not had any problems with it so far. I tried to use some black tubing but it was not as rigid so the holes did not stay open as well as the clear tubing and did not work right. I have been told that mold can start to grow in the clear tube, but have seen no evidence of that in the nearly 6 months I have been using this. Of course, I only use RO/DI water, so that may have something to do with it. The water is as pure as it gets.

I am still using the semi clear tubing. I have not had any problems with it so far. I tried to use some black tubing but it was not as rigid so the holes did not stay open as well as the clear tubing and did not work right. I have been told that mold can start to grow in the clear tube, but have seen no evidence of that in the nearly 6 months I have been using this. Of course, I only use RO/DI water, so that may have something to do with it. The water is as pure as it gets.

Great to know, since the semi-clear is readily available at HD. I've been using this same tubing for the (2) misting nozzles for my Basilisk for 3.5 years and the lines are as clean and clear as they were new. Probably because I'm also using RO/DI water.

It sounds like there's no reason not to try a rain ring on my cage. I like how all the parts should be found at HD.

Great to know, since the semi-clear is readily available at HD. I've been using this same tubing for the (2) misting nozzles for my Basilisk for 3.5 years and the lines are as clean and clear as they were new. Probably because I'm also using RO/DI water.

It sounds like there's no reason not to try a rain ring on my cage. I like how all the parts should be found at HD.

you should try it - they are GREAT - I use them in all my Jax cages - but I use a 2 gal/ "gravity feed" system - that way the water last all day ( even longer ) and they can sit under the water , I found that when I had mine on the mister, the force was a bit much for the babies, so I just changed them all to gravity feed - mine are almost 2 yrs old, and I have never had an issue w/ any of them - you can see Olive in this old pic/ thread just soaking up the water :) ( even tho this is about her bratty babies- lol https://www.chameleonforums.com/finally-figured-out-how-stop-my-babies-walking-roof-108396/ ) the only thing I have changed, is when I put in new ones, I use the opaque lines now- for some reason - they like to shoot the air bubbles that sometimes get in the line - so now they can not see them, and it only rains on 1/2 the cage now so there is a dry/warm side, and a wet/cool side ( but they almost never leave the wet side ) :)

I have been using this tubing, and I make the holes with the smallest drill bit I can find:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE8EWK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure your rain ring is clear of your basking lamp if the lamp is laying flush to the cage.
I melted one that way!!

you should try it - they are GREAT - I use them in all my Jax cages - but I use a 2 gal/ "gravity feed" system - that way the water last all day ( even longer ) and they can sit under the water , I found that when I had mine on the mister, the force was a bit much for the babies, so I just changed them all to gravity feed - mine are almost 2 yrs old, and I have never had an issue w/ any of them - you can see Olive in this old pic/ thread just soaking up the water :) ( even tho this is about her bratty babies- lol https://www.chameleonforums.com/finally-figured-out-how-stop-my-babies-walking-roof-108396/ ) the only thing I have changed, is when I put in new ones, I use the opaque lines now- for some reason - they like to shoot the air bubbles that sometimes get in the line - so now they can not see them, and it only rains on 1/2 the cage now so there is a dry/warm side, and a wet/cool side ( but they almost never leave the wet side ) :)

Mine would be pressure, so hopefully no bubbles. After reading your thread about using tape around the top, I have a question about it. I assume you put the tape on the inside, but did you also put tape on the outside too, to cover up the sticky side?

Psychobunny - Thanks, I'll make sure to keep it away from the spot light or raise the spot light off the top, I read your thread and saw what happened to yours.

Post is 5 days old, but maybe you will come back, but what do you use to poke the holes for your rain ring?

So its a really small hole, like you would get from a push pin?
I think I am making my holes too big!
The water only drips from some of the holes, and when I increse the flow, water comes out in a steady stream on some holes, drips through others, and no drip through the other holes.

The first one I made seemed to work best, and I used a push pin on that one.

The last one I made, I used a small drill bit, bigger hole, and its not working so well.
Did you experiment at all with different size holes?

I think having a small hole is key. I didn't experiment, so I just got lucky. Mine works perfectly, I even have the flow turned almost all the way down.

You must be right, since my last one had larger holes, and doesnt work very well.
I will use a push pin for my next one.
How far apart are you making the holes?

Good thing a have a 50ft roll of tubing :eek:

I used a push pin to do my holes and worked great. I did my holes about every inch or so and I think for his big boy cage im going to do every half inch and try to get more cover.

I have 4 rings on mine and I punched the holes about 3-4 inches apart. With 4 rings it still gives great coverage without COMPLETELY drenching the entire cage.

Mine would be pressure, so hopefully no bubbles. After reading your thread about using tape around the top, I have a question about it. I assume you put the tape on the inside, but did you also put tape on the outside too, to cover up the sticky side?

Psychobunny - Thanks, I'll make sure to keep it away from the spot light or raise the spot light off the top, I read your thread and saw what happened to yours.

sorry , just saw this- no, I did not put it on the outside - only the inside- but you MUST use good tape - it has to touch all the top of the cage frame - but I have changed it now, to acrylic strips that I screwed onto the cage, I could make it wider also that way - the tape lasted over a yr - the other trick was to not let it get wet - but the water ring did not spray - so it worked well - I would use the acrylic - it looks a bit better too - :eek: :p you can get self tapping screws - pre drill the holes , and it goes right up :D

I have 4 rings on mine and I punched the holes about 3-4 inches apart. With 4 rings it still gives great coverage without COMPLETELY drenching the entire cage.

Thats what I tried to do, make the rings cover the whole cage, so the cham is sure to get the water. But then I melted a section because I had my basking lamp laying flush againts the top screen, too much heat!!
So I had to make a new ring, but I made the holes too big. Now, that one has to come down as well!! :eek: :(

Those big paper clamps work great for raising the light dome up off the screen, so I will stick some on and try again!

The first rain ring I made was perfect. I dont know why I got the idea that bigger holes would be better :confused:

How's the splash with the rain ring? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to drain the cage.

I was thinking of just getting a washing machine pan, which will extend about 2-3" past the cage sides and front (more on back), tilting stand towards the back a little to a drain line. I guess drilling some small holes in the bottom center will let it drain to the pan. Just worried about the splash out the sides.

How's the splash with the rain ring? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to drain the cage.

I was thinking of just getting a washing machine pan, which will extend about 2-3" past the cage sides and front (more on back), tilting stand towards the back a little to a drain line. I guess drilling some small holes in the bottom center will let it drain to the pan. Just worried about the splash out the sides.

There is a decent amount of splash from them. I have three sides of my cage covered in a shower curtain and the cage is sitting in a LLLreptile water tray. I drilled several small holes in the bottom plastic piece for the cage and a larger hole in the water tray. I then placed a trash can under the cage to catch the used/dirty water. I also placed a piece of acrylic at the bottom front of the cage. I cut it so it would fit just below the door, so it will still open and close. It is about 8 inches tall and keeps the majority of the splash contained. Between the shower curtain and acrylic everything stays within the confines of the cage and drains into the water tray and finally in the trash can.

Back
Top Bottom