Dino-Burger....?

So....... How shall we do this?......... Mix the 2 together, then Nuke it? Or just sprinkle a layer on top? I think mixing the 2 then gelling would give a better mix,that way its saturated all the way to the last bite. Would cooking the DinoFuel hurt it? We already know the Bug Burger is made to nuke... Dave

I agree.........mix the two together and then "cook 'er"......up.

I have all plans on nuking it. Lol.

Figured I'd do my usual 1/4 cup Dry Bug Burger ( add a table spoon of the Dino-Fuel) then 1 cup of water and NUKE!!!

I have been chopping small cubes of carrots and potatoes and adding to the gel straight out the microwave before it sets. So there is some solid fresh matter!

Hey Tom.....
Can you post the before & after pics of the "FUEL"? I saw them somewhere.... but cant seem to find them again. THANX Dave

Winterhawk.........
Thats the most awsome avitar!!!! What is that .... ? a Crow indian warrior? Looks like a crow on his head to me:)

OK.... I whipped up my first batch of Dino-Burger this afternoon. 1/4 cup & 1 tbl spoon.After it cooled I gave some to my crickets.... To say they liked it is an understatement...... They went at it like Piranha at a frenzy!!!!! I went out to eat for a while & when I came back they were still at it!!!!! At this rate... they are going to grow too big for my little Ernie to eat!:eek: Im afraid ive created monsters.... By morning they may have chewed to freedom!!:rolleyes:

Winterhawk.........
Thats the most awsome avitar!!!! What is that .... ? a Crow indian warrior? Looks like a crow on his head to me:)

Actually it is EXACTLY that.....but the "crow" kinda gives it away. The present-day Crow Indian Reservation stretches about 70 miles east to west and about 50 miles north to south, its southern extremity along the Montana-Wyoming border. The smaller Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation sits to the east and abuts the Crow lands.

I had the opportunity about 12 years ago to spend some time pursuing the wapiti close to their reservation as well as the Cheyenne. I have GREAT disgust for the situation that OUR government has placed them in. Very sad, indeed.......and I honestly don't know how they don't freeze to death in the winter.

They and MANY others are the TRUE "Native Americans"........not us white folk that forced them to where they are today. I better stop........and not get started before I say something that wouldn't be appropriate for a family site. If EVERYONE did their own research on the Native Americans.......it is very well documented, so I'll just leave it at that.

It also doesn't hurt that I have more than 50% of their blood flowing through me veins either. ;)

I was going to do a comparison with this stuff too... But Ernie is too small and not really showing any colors yet;)

I was going to do a comparison with this stuff too... But Ernie is too small and not really showing any colors yet;)

Well well well, Guess what i got in the mail yesterday!!

I made a batch lastnight:

.25 cup Bug Burger
1/2 tablespoon Dino-Fuel
1/2 tablespoon Dino-Fuel Raptor
1 cup water (next batch will be 1.5 cups of water)
NUKE FOR 2 MINUTES

I wish i had 2 Chams of the same Locale,same age, same clutch to do a side by side test. But i don't! So for now ALL my Chams will be getting this mix!

But.... I do have a friend that has a brother to my Ambanja (But i fear he will soon be doing this also with his guy. lol)

PS: i did notice that with the added 1/2 spoon of the Dino-Fuel and the 1/2 spoon of Dino-Fuel Raptor it made the Gel a bit dry for my liking. My next batch will be with 1.5 cups of water.

I like my Gel to be a bit on the moist side since i don't "water" my crickets. I just got through my last batch of 1000 crickets (lasted a month) and i did not water them once. Only the "watered-down" BugBurger. I maybe got 20 or so crickets that died, and some of thoes deaths were probably from me banging the eggcrates to get some crickets out for the daily feeding of my Chams.

Well well well, Guess what i got in the mail yesterday!!

I made a batch lastnight:

.25 cup Bug Burger
1/2 tablespoon Dino-Fuel
1/2 tablespoon Dino-Fuel Raptor
1 cup water (next batch will be 1.5 cups of water)
NUKE FOR 2 MINUTES

I wish i had 2 Chams of the same Locale,same age, same clutch to do a side by side test. But i don't! So for now ALL my Chams will be getting this mix!

But.... I do have a friend that has a brother to my Ambanja (But i fear he will soon be doing this also with his guy. lol)

PS: i did notice that with the added 1/2 spoon of the Dino-Fuel and the 1/2 spoon of Dino-Fuel Raptor it made the Gel a bit dry for my liking. My next batch will be with 1.5 cups of water.

I like my Gel to be a bit on the moist side since i don't "water" my crickets. I just got through my last batch of 1000 crickets (lasted a month) and i did not water them once. Only the "watered-down" BugBurger. I maybe got 20 or so crickets that died, and some of thoes deaths were probably from me banging the eggcrates to get some crickets out for the daily feeding of my Chams.

I also dust my "loaded" crickets with Repashy's Cal PLUS Daily!

Few Pix... (This is b4 the Dino-Fuel, see how moist). I'll have the new pix soon.
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/MrPootie/?action=view&current=bbcup.jpg

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/MrPootie/?action=view&current=bbcrix.jpg

Last edited:
I also dust my "loaded" crickets with Repashy's Cal PLUS Daily!

Few Pix... (This is b4 the Dino-Fuel, see how moist). I'll have the new pix soon.
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/MrPootie/?action=view&current=bbcup.jpg

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/MrPootie/?action=view&current=bbcrix.jpg

Yeah...... I will be doing my next batch up with 1-1/2 cups water too... I did the standard 3/4 cup water & decided I better put some water crystals in the cricket keeper.... Mine came out even less moist as yours.:eek:

You can mix anything you want into the bug burger, but the problem is going to be that you will be diluting the gel ingredients, so if you mixed it 50/50, you would end up with a gel that was really weak because it had half the amount of gelling ingredients in it.

As long as you are adding whole food ingredients, you are just adding more variety to the 50 ingredients already in the bug burger and it should still be a great mix.

I would say though, that anything more than 10% or 20% and the stuff might not gel really good. I would say to use as little water as possible....... only trial and error will tell you how much you can mix into it.

Good luck, Allen

No, it is a proprietary blend of four different plant gums. It doesn't require refrigeration to harden like gelatin mixes do.

Gelatin is an animal based protein so it adds a lot of poorly digestible animal protein, which IMHO is a bad thing for bugs and bug eaters.

Hmmmm.... Well all in all my Dino-Burger mix came out pretty darn good @ 3/4 cup water.. I just figured I would put some straight water crystals for the crix to wash it down with;) The crix & Ernie are diggin it!

Hmm I'm just thinking of what to add to it as I've tried a few variations of the recipe above and ended up dry so I added more water to the next mix and it ended up with not as much gelatin like structure so I was looking to see what would be best to obtain that back

Hmm I'm just thinking of what to add to it as I've tried a few variations of the recipe above and ended up dry so I added more water to the next mix and it ended up with not as much gelatin like structure so I was looking to see what would be best to obtain that back

Im on my 3rd batch of Dino-Burger... I dont keep that many crix. I only have 1 Panther. So far Ive found dumping 1 tablespoon Dinofuel into a measuring cup then adding the Bug Burger to the 1/4 cup mark then using 3/4 cup water made the best mix for me so far. I also noticed that if it doesnt get all eaten up quick it can get real hard.... adding a touch of water to it softens it back up;) Dave

Back
Top Bottom