Dexters digging?

hey everyone :)

Dexter is 6months old and brand new to our family. he's eating/drinking fine, has had a poopy, has a 12 hour sleep cycle, all in all fairly happy.

occasionally though he spends a while digging in the same bottom corner, i've read that females tend to do it when laying eggs but couldn't find much more on this digging behaviour.

is he just doing this for a bit of fun or should i be worried?

He is a little fellow-does not at all look 6 months old. Does he have little bumps on the back of his heels? That is how you tell male Veileds from females. Digging is not normal unless it is a female that needs to lay eggs. What are your temps? If the temps are too hot they will sometimes go to the bottom and maybe dig. In the mean time-to help us help you-please fill out the following quesitons...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Chameleon Info:

he's a veiled, male?, and told he was 6months.
i've had him for 4days, he's been out once or twice but not for long periods of time.
he's eating small locusts, about 12 a day, a few in the morning, some in the early afternoon, locusts are on bug gel and a food, also getting dusted with a calcium suppliment (t-rex brand)
he's being sprayed a few times a day untill we move him into a larger cage and can add a proper dripper.
his poops resemple bird poo, they're black and white, mainly solid,
never been tested for anything so far as i know.

Cage Info:

he's currently in a 30x30x45 glass exo terra (we're moving him into a larger one soon) he has a spiral uv 5% bulb as well as a green 40watt heat bulb.
daytime temp is 23-25c on floor, about 21-22 at night. unfortunately i dont have a thermometre at he top :S
humidity is averaging at around 70%, again down to misting a few times a day. meaured using a hydrometre.

currently no live plants.

cage top is about 100cm off the ground, not by any fans etc.
and i'm in north wales, uk :)

Current concern- digging in the same corner a few times a day

thank you :)

You need to have a digital thermometer and measure temps at the top-he may be trying to escape heat.

also, i've checked this morning and he does have he little bumps on his feet :)

Are they little bumps, or quite obvious? When I was sold my first cham, I was told it was a male by the shop (who we thought knew what they were talking about as they sold reptiles). Turns out it was a female, which is why it was digging! When I called the shop they responded with "well that's what the supplier said it was".

Back
Top Bottom