Cricket breeding

bigben2057

I placed about 40 male and female crickets into a container and the females are going crazy with digging in the sand i put in a conatainer for them. Are they laying eggs? When should I remove it to inccubate them?

I have read to leave the laying dirt in with your mating crickets for 4 days to a week depending on how much you see females laying in it...hope this helps!

I placed about 40 male and female crickets into a container and the females are going crazy with digging in the sand i put in a conatainer for them. Are they laying eggs? When should I remove it to inccubate them?

There are lots of ways to breed crickets and I don't think any one way is correct. I don't put the males in with the females. They are already pregnant if they have been together in the past. Just put a bunch of females in with a laying bin and you will see them "backing" into the dirt with the long black spike on the back of them (ovipositor). That is them laying eggs. leave for 4days to a week and then remove the laying bin and place in another bin for hatching.

Also I find it helpful when you take the container with eggs out and place it in another container to place it on a paper towel, it will absorb some of the condensation which can drown the pinheads. Good luck :)

Also I find it helpful when you take the container with eggs out and place it in another container to place it on a paper towel, it will absorb some of the condensation which can drown the pinheads. Good luck :)

Yes, another container is good....the paper towel idea is a good one Suzi. I have used coco fiber substrate for them to do their first molts in...but it's messy I will have to try the paper towel next time.

Ive been puttin off breeding pins. But feeding 3 clutches of babies is starting to get exp. Are you guys using any heat lamps on the hatching bin? If so do you leave it on 24hrs a day or turn it off at nite? Or can I just put my egg container in and leave em til they hatch? :confused::D

Ive been puttin off breeding pins. But feeding 3 clutches of babies is starting to get exp. Are you guys using any heat lamps on the hatching bin? If so do you leave it on 24hrs a day or turn it off at nite? Or can I just put my egg container in and leave em til they hatch? :confused::D

I think if you put a heating pad or lamp they will hatch faster. I have heard various things about that. I just left them in my cham room which is the coldest place in the house and placed the hatching bin on top of my fluorescent light fixture on my cham cage. so I guess it was a little warmer than the room. But I keep that room 75 deg during the day and 69 at night so not warm for sure. Once the pinheads hatch I do pull the bin out at night into another room that is 78 deg. I really think the heat is just a way to speed up growth and lift cycle.

Where do you get your pins from? Local or do you order them?

Heating pad works well for my dubia but didn't work well for my crickets, Clarke is much warmer climate than me but then again so are you ;) I had a much higher success rate when I started putting them all in the hovabator incubator, I purchased it at LLL reptile for like 35 bucks and works really well for my crickets.

Where do you get your pins from? Local or do you order them?

I was ordering along with my LPS we were going in together and so I wa saving on shipping costs. But after he messed up a cpl of orders and left me hanging with few pins on two occasions I started ordering my crix myself again. Ive tried Armstrong and I just tried Ghanns for the first time this week.
Ghanns is a little cheaper, but I think I got larger overcounts from Armstrong.

Are you getting yours locally? Didnt know anyone local had pins? :confused:

I was ordering along with my LPS we were going in together and so I wa saving on shipping costs. But after he messed up a cpl of orders and left me hanging with few pins on two occasions I started ordering my crix myself again. Ive tried Armstrong and I just tried Ghanns for the first time this week.
Ghanns is a little cheaper, but I think I got larger overcounts from Armstrong.

Are you getting yours locally? Didnt know anyone local had pins? :confused:

The only place I know of is Pets A Plenty, but they are in Hockley (about an hour away from me) so I've been having to go almost every weekend to get some for my baby Jackson's. I can't wait till he is large enough to eat 1/3 growns. I go through about 100 a week, perhaps we could go in on an order together some time. I also have other critters that get crickets weekly.

Back
Top Bottom