Could this be RI

Kristen Wilkins

Chameleon Enthusiast
hi everyone . I noticed my girl after eating was holding her head up straight . She's opening her mouth I hear like either a weeping sound or crackle . She did it after having a hornworm , and respberrys . She not ever done this . There's no extra mucus in mouth or nostrils . She's eating great poo is normal . Basking temps are 80 , rest of her enclosure is 72 . She is in glass enclosure with screen side and top . Shes 6 months .

IMG_3836.JPG

How big was the hornworm? If it was very large she could be having some difficulty getting it down. I would keep an eye on her to make sure the symptoms don't continue though.

Yes she saw her vet , she's on an antibiotic for 7 days . Her lungs sound good , we go back on Saturday and if there's no improvement she will have a X-ray . Please keep fingers crossed !!.

U could try to Inject a feeder with the meds and then feed right away before the meds kill the feeder,
Or wait until ur cham shoots a cricket or feeder and while they're chewing on it try squirt it into their mouth real fast.

If you want to or need to force the mouth open I would suggest something flat like a guitar pick . Even gently tugging on the skin under the throat will open his mouth enough to administrate meds, u may need some help though, one to hold and one to administer .

Thank you , now to figure out how to get her to take this . She won't open her mouth !!.

If you put a thumb and a finger on either side right behind her jaw she will present her mouth. Go from above her like you are going to pick her up from above and hold her like you are trying not to get bit. Just very gently. I'm trying to think of a visual and all I can think of is the way a snake handler holds a venomous snake from behind the jaw, of course not as hard as they do but that is kind of the hold. Her body is in the palm of your hand. Someone drew a picture of it on a thread here but I can remember who or what thread.

If you put a thumb and a finger on either side right behind her jaw she will present her mouth. Go from above her like you are going to pick her up from above and hold her like you are trying not to get bit. Just very gently. I'm trying to think of a visual and all I can think of is the way a snake handler holds a venomous snake from behind the jaw, of course not as hard as they do but that is kind of the hold. Her body is in the palm of your hand. Someone drew a picture of it on a thread here but I can remember who or what thread.

Ok I will give this a try . She's very stressed right now .

You may have trouble sourcing it but a speculum is really the best way to open his mouth. If you are administering a liquid antibiotic make sure to place the liquid in the rear of the mouth. If injected towards the front it poses a choking hazard.

You may have trouble sourcing it but a speculum is really the best way to open his mouth. If you are administering a liquid antibiotic make sure to place the liquid in the rear of the mouth. If injected towards the front it poses a choking hazard.

Yes antibiotics I has a small window to get it in most went on her lips .

Back
Top Bottom